Logo

Mercruiser 5.0 4K RPM Max

Riverrat34

I have a 2004 Rinker 250 Fiesta V with a 5L MPI Merc with the bravo III drive. I've noticed last year with a load of 6 people on board I can't get the boat to plane off unless I position people up in the bow. I have tabs and they don't help. Then I noticed that with just myself in the boat I can't get the RPM's over 4K. I used to see the RPM's tap out around 5,200. Any idea what could be wrong? Is it time to repower?

Is the engine in full tune?
Are the propellers in full tune?
Is the hull clean?
Is the boat over-loaded?
Is the boat stern heavy?

Any of these issues will cause what you are describing.

while engine is running pull one plug wire at a time see if there is a change in engine........you may have a cylinder not firing, running on 7 will cause what you describe..
If all cylinders are firing I would check fuel pressure next.......

RicardoMarine
Re: Mercruiser 5.0 4K RPM Max
Is the engine in full tune?
Are the propellers in full tune?
Is the hull clean?
Is the boat over-loaded?
Is the boat stern heavy?

Any of these issues will cause what you are describing.
I bought the boat 2 years ago. I have not given the engine a tune up since I had it. I've never tuned the props before. The bottom is spotless and waxed. The boat is not overloaded. This last trip it was just my wife and I. As far as gear goes, nothing outside the coast guard essentials and 4 fenders. All the gear is stowed forward and my wife and I sit pretty much a mid ship. I'll try an engine tune up.

Back