Logo

How do I remove lower unit on a 1978 DT50 Suzuki to change water pump impeller?

Rambddy

How do I remove the lower unit on my 1978 DT50 Suzuki outboard motor so I can replace the water pump impeller. I can't figure out how to remove the shift shaft after removing all the bolts holding lower unit to the top unit. Some books say to remove grommet on starboard side. There is no grommet on my motor and I can't figure out how to remove shift shaft.

go buy a repair manual for your motor and it will show you these things.

look at the shift shaft in front of the midsection and see if you can see a disconnect fitting, you my need to shift it into forward or reverse to see it. some have pins you pull out some have a hex sleeve you unscrew and some you have to disconnect from up top under the front of the engine where the shift cables connect to the linkages.

if yours disconnects from under the motor, then when you are ready to reinstall it feed a string through the midsection to help guide the shift shaft back up into position because it can be a PITA trying to do it o some motors

Last edited:
go buy a repair manual for your motor and it will show you these things.

look at the shift shaft in front of the midsection and see if you can see a disconnect fitting, you my need to shift it into forward or reverse to see it. some have pins you pull out some have a hex sleeve you unscrew and some you have to disconnect from up top under the front of the engine where the shift cables connect to the linkages.

if yours disconnects from under the motor, then when you are ready to reinstall it feed a string through the midsection to help guide the shift shaft back up into position because it can be a PITA trying to do it o some motors

I have a manual and it doesn't have anything that resembles my motor. I do see something under the bottom carburetor that moves when I move the shifter from forward to reverse. Is that where I should disconnect the cable from? Is that where you said to feed a string down the midsection to work the cable up on reassembly?

Back