Logo

Fuel Relay Location

bderbes

Hello, I have a 1997 Sea Ray 175 Series with a 4.3L Mercruiser engine. I believe I have narrowed my problem to a fuel relay but I cannot locate the relay to replace it. Can anyone point me in the right direction to the location of the relay?

Problem: fuel pump not running when engine is cranking, therefore, engine will not run>>>

Im assuming my problem is one of 4 things:
- fuse (all good)
-
fuel pump might be bad (ran hot wire from battery to purple/ yellow side of fuel pump>>>pump runs)
- oil pressure switch (bypassed with jumper wire)
- fuel relay, this is what brings me to the forum because I cannot locate it to test
This problem started at the end of last season, in order to get off the water, I ran a temp wire from the ignition to the purple/yellow side of the fuel pump and the boat started and ran normally. I just want to fix it properly to avoid bypassing any sensors or creating any safety hazards.

Please correct me if I have overlooked anything. I have looked all over the engine compartment and under the dash. Thank you in advance for any help. Trying to get on the water in a few hours if possible.

-Bill

Ayuh,.... Rather than a relay, Merc powers the fuel pump, when crankin' on the starter, from the outside tiny terminal on the starter's solenoid,...

Bondo, so there is no relay for the fuel pump? Ive seen several wiring diagrams that indicate there is a relay for the fuel pump but none indicate the location. Im not saying "yes there is a relay" just trying to get confirmation that "there may not be in certain models" or something. If there is, in fact a relay, Im sure location varies slightly on different makes and/or models but was hoping there was a way to track it down. Thanks for the help

Update: I used a temp wire from the small post on the starter solenoid to the purple/ yellow side of the fuel pump and it fired right up and is sitting there running with muffs right now. My question now is: what did I bypass by doing that? Oil pressure switch only (assuming there may be no relay as Bondo suggested)? Im getting there, just a little more help and I think Im back in action the proper way! Thanks again for any help or suggestions.

-Bill

Bondo, so there is no relay for the fuel pump? Ive seen several wiring diagrams that indicate there is a relay for the fuel pump but none indicate the location. Im not saying "yes there is a relay" just trying to get confirmation that "there may not be in certain models" or something. If there is, in fact a relay, Im sure location varies slightly on different makes and/or models but was hoping there was a way to track it down. Thanks for the help
"with a 4.3L Mercruiser engine."

Ayuh,... Identify yer motor more clearly,....

Carbed,..?? 2bbl, or 4bbl.,..??

Mpi,..??

Efi,..??

The serial numbers wouldn't hurt,.....

the carb version does not use a relay, just a pressure switch plumbed into the oil pressure system
the fuel injected one does use a fuel relay
Manual25 should be you,pm if interested

Hey guys. Read the above thread. Looking for onsite on this please.

I have a 2004 Tahoe f/s with a 4.3L merc.

WHERE IS THE RELAY FUSE for the fuel pump.
The pump works when wired direct to power so I know that is not faulty. But when I hook everything up correctly turn the key over I am not able to get Greg fuel pump to pump fuel to the engine.

Any help is appreciated. TIA

Ayuh,..... Start yer own thread, insteada hi-jacking this old antique,.....
'n state which 4.3l,...

Back