Logo

Help with replacing Check Valve ???

Socalinsd

I have a 1993 Johnson 200 hp 2 stroke outboard. I am trying to replace the check valves in this motor. There are 2 parts to the valve. 1) An external part with a barb and one way valve which can be replaced easily and 2) an internal part which is pressed into the block. Can anyone tell me how to remove this internal part? Pics of the part I am referring to are here. Thanks
IMAG0695.jpg

check-valve1.jpg

Last edited:
I have never been able to remove one like the manual says. They say get a stiff wire, bend it in a 90* square hook, and use it to push the valve out from behind. You would put the wire into the intake, insert the end of the hook you just fashioned, and pull.
Doesn't work.
I usually screw a large sheet metal screw into the front of the valve, ruining the screen and valve of course, and pull it out with vise grips.
The rubber o-ring forms a real set to that part.

Requires replacing all 6 valves to do it my way. And sorry to say, they are real pricey.

Ok thanks Dasel that sort of makes sense now.

I already bought 6 new ones and marine engine had the best price by far. So once I get the old ones out should I just lightly tap the new ones in place? Should I lube the O-rig with some Triple Guard Grease? Thanks

Once you get it back together, please post back regarding how you feel changing the recirc valves worked for you.
In other words, did I help any that you can tell?

Back