Logo

bf5a starting problem

tarek

I got a bf5a motor but I have a small problem with starting it when the engine is cold, when I open the chock and pull the starter it works for 1 or 2 minutes I feel like it will turn of and when I close the chock the engine turns off.. after that I tried to start it without the chock it starts from the second pull. After reading and searching most of the people when they start it with chock and turn the chock of it keeps working, why mine is not starting in the same way?

Tarek.

When I start mine I have the throttle half way and then I turn the choke off as soon as it starts. I`ll then leave the engine to warm up as it is and then reduce the throttle after a couple of mins.

I`m wondering if your keeping the choke on for too long which is causing the air/fuel mixture to be to enriched and starting to foul the spark plug.

Is this a new problem or something that`s been happening for sometime?

Matt

Umm maybe because I don't have the throttle half way before I turn the choke off.. I will try it tomorrow and see if it will works.

thank you.

When you start a cold engine the choke should be CLOSED.----Choke is opened for proper running.------These carburetors have very small passageways.--Many folks miss those on the first try at cleaning the carburetor.------This has been proven on this site on many occasions.

Many of these small engines seem to have different "personalities". Sometimes it's just a case of adjusting your starting procedure to make it "happy". By all means, open the throttle and see if that helps. Experimenting with the choke and throttle settings may reveal a combination that would work well.

Other than that, racerone is right. If you can't get it to start and run easily you may need to revisit cleaning the carb. I'm working on one now that I cleaned and, when it didn't work, I tore it down again and found a couple of places I didn't clean well enough. Happens to all of us at one time or another.

When you choke the 5A, the throttle should also advance by itself (via linkages) as long as the adjustment was not messed with.

Once the engine starts, you need to slowly push the choke in as it warms up until it idles nicely. Again...this is assuming that the idle is adjusted right.

The posts that say that they advance the throttle and pull the choke, then put the choke in right away.....that would probably work too.

As Jimmy says, each engine has its own little tricks for starting.

Mike

I tried it 2 times, I advanced the throttle before I pull the choke and after it starts I pushed the choke slowly and it works very well.

thanks.

Yippee! Another boater powering down the bay! Glad to hear you sorted it out and thank you for letting us all know how it worked.

I have a Honda bf5a it starts fine when cold after I am out to sea for a couple of hours it has a very difficult time to start, it seems to be more difficult to start in rough Seas

Hi,
I agree with Chawk_man. If you start a new (your own) thread, you will get many more people reading about your issue and, thus, more ideas. Not many will read about it here as it is an old thread.

Hi,
I agree with Chawk_man. If you start a new (your own) thread, you will get many more people reading about your issue and, thus, more ideas. Not many will read about it here as it is an old thread.

And how do I do that I've tried to figure it out on the site and I can't

Wow, it's been so long since I posted myself. I can see why you had trouble. But, I fumbled around and figured out at least one way to post a new thread.
Here goes:

Of course, make sure that you're logged in.

Press the FORUM HOME button at the top of the page.

When the home screen comes up, scroll down to the HONDA OUTBOARD button. It has has an illustration of a Honda outboard.

When the Honda forum screen comes up, look for the POST NEW THREAD button a couple of inches down and well to the left.

When the new thread screen comes up, it's basically fill in the blanks
Make sure your heading or title is decriptive of the problem. Something like;
BF5A Hard To Start After Long Run
Then put in as much info as you can. Include your frame number if you have it and all the symptoms you experience. Make sure to list any remedies you have already tried and any parts you have replaced.
It may take a couple of days for some of the guys to develop some ideas for you so please be patient. But if you aren't getting any, keep your post current by "bumping" it once in a while. A simple Anybody??? Should do it unless you have info to ad like compression test results or valve clearance adjustment.

Good luck and sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

Back