Logo

1986 Johnson E40ELCDE short shaft, shift rod height ?

Flint River

Can someone please tell me the correct shaft shift length for a 1986 Johnson E40ELCDE short shaft? I can't adjust it with the adjustments on the cable to where both reverse and forward both work in the water. I've been driving with just forward for about 2 years now. Lol. Got pretty used to it but I'm ready to fix it now. I have the clicking from the control box issue when trying to shift in reverse and in the water. After looking at the connections in the control box and under the motor cover (they look good) I'm convinced it's the shift rod length. I have had the foot off a few times replacing the water pump and at that time I didn't know the shift rod height was so critical. The only other thing it could be is a stretched cable inside of the sheathing but doubt it.

That's 15 and 29/32 inches. That's right... gonna float down the flint river and catch me a little catfish dinner ....today for real. Thanks for the help.
I'll try to fix it when I'm not busy fishing.

Spent the better part of 1954 and all of 1955 in Albany, stationed at Turner AFB (Now Millers). I liked the town and the people... should have stayed there. I remember "Hubbles Lunch" and I believe there was a bar "Eagles?" which was across the street from a hotel. I heard Hubbles Lunch is no longer there though. Have been tempted to go back but don't want to destroy the memories.

I has changed a lot since then. Those are what I heard were the good old days around Albany. If you come back you will probably destroy those good memories.

Back