Logo

1965 Evinrude 60 hp sportfour

duffer1960

I bought a 1965 Kildonan 16 foot ski-boat last summer, powered by a 60 hp evinrude sportfour outboard. It had been kept in storage, inside for several years. I was able to start it in a barrel of water last fall. But when I tried to start it this spring, no luck. I found the problem, (ignition coil was not grounded), but I decided to give the carbs a good cleaning anyway. It idles beautifully now but when I accelerate it, it bogs down, even backfires a little. Would the syncronization be a little off ? Should I run the gas/oil ratio richer to 24:1 instead of 50:1 ? Everything inside the outboard is clean, nearly immaculate, including the junction box inside the transom. and the electrical switch and controls for the tilt/trim. Thank you very much for any advise, appreciate it. I just want to have the evinrude running properly before taking the boat to the lake. Yes, I will be replacing the spark plugs too....

had the same problem with my 50 yahama. do not run ethanol gas even with a gas additive...bad bad bad!!! run non-ethanol gas only this may take a gallon or two but you should start to see a difference soon. also beware of running too high of octane. this can cause the motor to run hotter and effect the timing.

The motor does not have power tim / tilt.------It is tilt only.-To be used at idle speeds only.------Motor should be run at 50:1 gas oil mix.-------Did you have the magneto / distributor off to find the problem with the coil ?-------Have you cleaned and gapped the points ?

I dumped the tank of gas i did have it full. I filled the 10 gal tank with premium and have a 24/1 gas oil ratio. pre-1969. I had the cover off the distributor to find the coil issue....ground wire was off due to missing screw...

Back