Logo

Fuel Pump Issue?

us4parrs

Hey guys, I could use some help. I took my boat out last weekend for the first time. I had just purchased it. Wanted to take it out to be sure all was good, and replace all needed parts. The boat sat for 4 yrs before I bought it and new I was going to need filters, tune up, impeller ect. Its a 1992 wellcraft excel 20 w/4.3l 430A motor.

Well the boat fir up right away( with good gas of course) and ran like a champ. until I opened it up WOT. It then died, just shut down. It started right back up and figured had better head back to the dock. So I took off again and didn't quite get on plane and she dies again. Proceeded to start it up again, it popped right over and as I hit the gas.....well she died. got it home started itup in the driveway with the muffs and ran awesome.

I figure its the fuel pump, so I took it apart to check the diaphragm and found it to be a little droopy and wrinkled up. I see its a Carter 0-2210 (mechanical). But I find no info about it online. Is the other makes that will work to replace this pump?

With my hours I tend to ordering everything online cuz every dealer is closed.

Does anyone have any feedback as to what else besides fuel pump or filters that could cause it to die.
Or info on this fuel pump, or other options for the pump?
Has new wires, filters, and impeller

Thank you for your Help

The 430A is carbureted, and does use a mechanical fuel pump. This is a very common SBC Marine fuel pump.

11268.jpg

The 430A uses a rather simple electrical and ignition system... no knock sensor.... no temp sensor, etc.

10433.jpg

I would suggest that you look at and test one item only at a time.
This is what some of us refer to as the P of E ..... (process of elimination).

When used systematically and methodically, the P of E won't let you down.

It will also leave you better equipped to trouble-shoot in the future.

Thanks Rick for the fast reply, I did find that diagram and was going to order the pump but this might sound kinda Dumb but the one shown is actually shown upside down in the photo compared to mine on the motor. I wasn't sure if its just a Photo mishap or are the pumps able to mount either way depending on its application? And my other question would be do you feel this is the issue with the fuel pump too? I figured with it sitting for 4 yrs , the diaphragm is shot. Couldn't find anything on a diaphragm so thought I just bit the bullet and spend the $180 on the pump.
I greatly appreciate your help

Me in blue text

Thanks Rick for the fast reply, I did find that diagram and was going to order the pump but this might sound kinda Dumb but the one shown is actually shown upside down in the photo compared to mine on the motor.
Often parts are shown either upside down or facing the wrong way due to lack of education with the people putting the ads together. :confused: :rolleyes:
All of the SBC mechanical fuel pumps mount in the same orientation.
However, the lower section on some can be indexed differently by removing the screws.

And my other question would be do you feel this is the issue with the fuel pump too?
NO... I am not suggesting that your fuel pump is bad or is the problem.
However, give it's age, it's always a good idea to be pro-active and replace it.
E-10 may have damaged the diaphragm.

I figured with it sitting for 4 yrs , the diaphragm is shot. Couldn't find anything on a diaphragm so thought I just bit the bullet and spend the $180 on the pump.
Yikes!!!
Here's a Carter from Summit for $77.

CRT-M61073_ml.jpg

I greatly appreciate your help
Glad to help!

You The Man Rick! I will be ordering this tonight, Was hoping to have this thing up to snuff this weekend, but not going to rush this and make sure its all maintained right and ready to enjoy the summer.

Thank you again.

Shawn

I just read your post #1 again.

Running at WOT and then having the engine quit on you (boat slows quickly) may pose a major issue with wave surge forcing water back up and into the exhaust system, and eventually into the cylinder head exhaust ports.
And yes... even with back flow prevention flappers working.
Try to avoid this from occurring.

While I still suggest replacing the fuel pump, fuel delivery may not be your problem.
While I agree that fuel starvation would certainly cause high rpm stumble or failure, I'm also thinking that the engine would not necessarily quit, but would rather stumble and return to low rpm.

Nonetheless, check all fuel delivery components.... such as: fuel tank dip tube screen, anti-siphon valve, fuel filter cartridge, carburetor body filter (if equipped), etc.

Ignition timing:
We tend to pay more attention to BASE or Initial advance, and seldom give the needed attention to the progressive and total advance. Excessive progressive and/or total advance may cause marine load Detonation. This most often results in severe engine damage.

However...... quick or short lived detonation may cause high cylinder temperatures that may shut the engine down, yet not cause severe damage.
A bullet escaped.... so to speak!

Also.... if the engine is starved for fuel during high rpm, a lean scenario occurs. Operating while lean will add to Detonation potential.

So I'd suggest that you look up your OEM ignition advance curve, and verify that the system is doing what it should be doing. You'll want to strobe the timing marks while increasing rpm to the Full-In rpm.
(with your ignition system, the engine does not need to be loaded for this)

An ignition coil that heats up may also fail intermittently.

All of this can become part of your P of E.

Back