Logo

water in motor

rwilso

I have had three motors replaced because of water getting into the motor.this is a riptide 55# thrust transom mount. is there a problem with the seals? the 4th motor now has water in it and the manufacture does not want to replace it :mad:

I have had three motors replaced because of water getting into the motor.this is a riptide 55# thrust transom mount. is there a problem with the seals? the 4th motor now has water in it and the manufacture does not want to replace it :mad:
Concerns like yours are appearing to be concerns for Minnkota. I am preparing to replace a 25 year old Minnkota Powerdrive 28 because the foot control has gone bad and can't find a replacement anywhere, which is a shame because the motor still runs strong. But many complaints like your own are making me think twice about purchasing another Minnkot product. My neighbor was goin fishing with his dad, and I stopped over to say hello. I notice that he had a 70# Traxxis, of which I was considering the 55# model. He told me that it was a replacement for the original he had bought because the motor head had come loose from the shaft and lost its seal. Before he put the replacement in the water, he had put a bead of JB weld around the joint where the shaft meets the motor body, with no problems yet. That's a crying shame to have to do that with a new trolling motor, and after reading multiple posts like yours for similar problems, I might just be looking into Motorguide trolling motors instead.

i have run em all...my present motor is a 21 year old motor guide...its beat to hell and looks like the devil but still working perfectly...i put a new motor on the boat and recarpeted a couple years ago and was gonna replace it but didnt....this year i looked at it and same thing...and the price has not gone up that much either...

Back