Logo

73 Merc 1150. Fuel pump problems.

trev3813

I have 2 triangular pumps, i've only looked at the top one, no rips in the diaphragm, carbs cleaned and functional. Motor runs awesome, just after a while idling or a few revs, it runs out of fuel, as if the pumps not working. i can run to the primer bulb and keep it going, but shouldn't it self feed? The only rebuild kits i can find are 4 bucks a piece, which i'd buy in a heartbeat, but 27 dollar shipping... kinda ticks me off. I need to pull the tank and see if the draw straw is bad, or if it has holes in it. But any tips or helpful advice? More boat related, but its a 72 Cobia C19f Fisherman, single cable steering, pivot bolt style, turns all the way right, and only partially left. I know its motor end, because i've unhooked the cable from the wheel. its still showing 3 inches of shaft. I'll take pics of all of this in the morning and update. Thanks for any help!

Take a look at the removal connection for an air leak, and also consider replacing the primer bulb; I had one where the check valve kept seizing on me, starving the motor for fuel. Drove me nuts 'til I figured it out.

Jeff

PS: On my boat, I now eliminate the removable connector completely, joining the fuel hoses to the motor with a short length of tube and hose clamps.

The quick connector is already eliminated. I'll just get a primer bulb just for good insurance. I didn't know there was a check ball in that.

well, i got my fuel pump rebuilds, rebuilt both, cleaned, new check valves. Same thing. I can't get it to start on its own, no matter how long cranking with choke, without, throttle wide open.. nothing, shoot just a little carb clean, fires right up within seconds.. it'll run untill the bowls empty, i can hear it sputter and prime the bulb and it picks back up. Im about ready to put a 6lb electric fuel pump on this and call it a day, when it runs, she has nuts... any help please..

Have you changed the primer bulb yet? Check for blockages at the pick up and in the fuel line.Out of curiosity,how far is the tank from the motor?

Have you changed the primer bulb yet? Check for blockages at the pick up and in the fuel line.Out of curiosity,how far is the tank from the motor?
Not yet, 18 bucks for a primer, versus 8 bucks for rebuilds.. haven't played with the tanks yet, i just know the one is clean, i have dual tanks that go to a single filter block, which i bypassed for now to the single clean tank, fresh 5 gallons in it. roughly, 5 feet of hose, maybe less..

Oh and to add, i fired it today without the aid of the choke clean, i've been starting it wrong, need to crack the throttle then choke.. i already order'd a fuel pump.

Well, i bypasses both mech pumps with a tee, so it feeds from bottom and top, with a 3psi electric fuel pump, and so far its great. Friday it goes on the water..

hey let me know if that 3psi fuel pump works i have the same problems to with my 1150 waiting on rebuild kit and new check valves for fuel pump

Back