Logo

1970's Mercury 1150 Thunderbolt wiring

jfisher1

I am in search of anyone with knowledge about the wiring of any 70's model Mercury 115 hp. I recently had to replace the internal and external wiring harnesses on mine and I am having trouble figuring it out. The new harnesses did not come with a diagram or anything and are no where near color coded the way the old one was. I have the started and choke working. The motor will turn over with the new key I also had to buy and the choke works. I am not getting spark to the plugs and I am thinking I have something wrong running to the switch box. I am 2 years into the whole project and any info at the point will help.
Thanks.

That may be helpful. Can you get a pic of both sides of the switch box and where the wires come from that run to it. Colors are mainly what I'm looking for.
Thanks

You'll have to take it one wire at a time and make the new harness work. I suggest making a wiring diagram with the old and new colors labeled.

On the no spark issue, if that's a distributor less ignition Merc, there's 2 switch boxes that need to be wired correctly and have a jumper wire between them.

Jeff

It has a distributor. Thanks for the pics those are the same diagrams I found but I'm doing something wrong because I wired it the way these diagrams say and it will not spark.

Back