Logo

Powertrim / tilt very slow rising the motor

magbaat

Hi,

I have some issues with the powertrim on my 10 yr old 100 hp Yamaha outboard engine.

The power tilt is lowering the engine into the water at normal speed, however it is very slow rising the motor up from the water. The sound is normal both up and down, it is only very slow when rising the motor.

The battery is well charged and the boat motor itself runs smoothly

Any advice? Have seen others comment fluid/oil level, battery connection and power tilt motor "clean up"

Thanks!

I would say you could check the amps on the motor when raising, but, idk where you would find the tt motor specs.
Ifall the other items are in good, battery, fluid etc., I would say the motor is just wearing out.

Hi,

I have some issues with the powertrim on my 10 yr old 100 hp Yamaha outboard engine.

The power tilt is lowering the engine into the water at normal speed, however it is very slow rising the motor up from the water. The sound is normal both up and down, it is only very slow when rising the motor.

The battery is well charged and the boat motor itself runs smoothly

Any advice? Have seen others comment fluid/oil level, battery connection and power tilt motor "clean up"

Thanks!

There is a ground wire for your trim motor. Usually brown and not secured to anything in particular. I had the same problem with my Mercury and after replacing the wire it lifted at normal speeds. Before you replace it check to see if the wire can be spliced and cleaned or see if it is kinked in any spots. Hope this helps.

There is a ground wire for your trim motor. Usually brown and not secured to anything in particular. I had the same problem with my Mercury and after replacing the wire it lifted at normal speeds. Before you replace it check to see if the wire can be spliced and cleaned or see if it is kinked in any spots. Hope this helps.

My bet is it's low on hydraulic fluid/oil. The sound is normal up and down which indicates it is not a power issue. The pump is running just the same and a tthe same speed on both the up and down travel... When you trim down, all the pump is doing is releasing pressure. When you trim up, all the the pump is trying to do is build pressure with the fluid it has on hand. Low fluid = low pressure. Check the fluid level is full with the engine trimmed all the way down.

Back