Logo

Poppet valve issue - 1977 V6 175 HP

keviwe

icon1.gif
poppet valve 1977 V6-175 HP serial 4733877

I bought a Merc Poppet kit # 8030 but the diaphragm & poppet valve were different than what my motor has in it. I replaced the gaskets, grommet, spring but did not have the correct diaphragm (or poppet valve) so I am wondering if I can use the original diaphragm because when I put it all together with the old diaphragm and ran it with flush muffs. The cover (68729) vent hole spits water. I cleaned and inspected the diaphragm (64877) and relief valve plate (65664). The plate sealing lip is a bit pitted and the diaphragm has a non-smooth surface in areas around the outer perimeter (due to expanding corrosion causing "dimples in the rubber). I also noticed that as I install the assembly the poppet valve contacts the grommet before the cover & plate make contact with the block, which pushes the poppet valve as I bolt down the cover and seems to cause the diaphragm to become "unseated". Is this normal?
How important is it to have a perfect seal of the diaphragm to relief valve plate? The relief valve plate (65664) is obsolete. Can I use some silicone to seal the diaphragm to the relief valve plate? or use silicone to fill in the pitted areas of the plate sealing lip?

OPTION 2:
If this is very important to have a good seal, can I replace my relief valve plate (65664) with a design III (16497A 1) and replace cover (68729 design I) with cover (14462A 1 design III), then replace diaphragm (64877 design I) with Design III diaphragm (14479), then use the gaskets, poppet valve, water deflector that came in poppet kit #8030?
here is a link to a parts schematic 1977 Mercury Marine Mercury Outboard 1175647 Relief Valve System Diagram and Parts

If your engine has reverse plumbing answer is no. When I say reverse plumbing that means water tattle tell comes off adapter plate and not hooked to t-stat housings and port t-stat hooks to starboard and starboard hooks to idle shut off valve(poppet). If you need a plate pm me.....

Hey faztbullet,
I sent you a pm; I guess you did not get it? my engine does have reverse plumbing. I think I can put some (self-leveling) epoxy in the corroded spots on my plate, unless you have a good one for sale?
Question; As I install the assembly the poppet valve contacts the grommet in the hole in the block, before the cover & plate make contact with the block, which "pushes" the poppet valve shaft as I bolt down the cover and seems to cause the diaphragm to become "unseated". The cover vent hole spits water. Is this normal? I have a "design I" style which maybe uses a thicker plate-to-block gasket (which would take up the "height" difference between the poppet valve? Maybe I have an incorrect old poppet valve (I can't find a part # on the valve)? Also, I have the schematic of exactly what I have, but cant attach it here. email me at [email protected] and I'll send it to you. Thank you very much for your help.

Back