Logo

5.0 OMC cobra EFI hard to start after its been running

timmy8504

I have a 1996 ChrisCraft 21' with a 5.0 OMC Cobra fuel injected engine with 350 hours. The engine starts right up when the engine is cold but after I run the boat for 30 minutes to a few hours ill dock it or beach it for a little while. When I go back to start it up after 10-60 minutes, I have to crank it for 10-15 seconds for it to start. Just wondering what this may be. Thank you in advance

50faphue is the model. Serial t01282180

Timmy, that is a 335 series 5.0L Ford engine according to the model.

According to the model numbers shown on the Volvo Penta site......, this would be a 5.0FLPHUE.... ("L" in lieu of "A"), as I'm not seeing a 5.0FAPHUE.

This is all Volvo Penta........... Not OMC.
(OMC was dismantled by 1996 and was now Volvo Penta)

Be that as it may....... you'll want to purchase a Volvo Penta OEM work shop manual for this model engine.

NO Seloc manual.... and NO Clymers manual! Too many errors in those.

Ok thank you very much. I saw omc cobra on top of the engine and thought it was omc. Good to know what it is. Any idea what may be causing this issue?

Timmy, that is a 335 series 5.0L Ford engine according to the model.

According to the model numbers shown on the Volvo Penta site......, this would be a 5.0FLPHUE.... ("L" in lieu of "A"), as I'm not seeing a 5.0FAPHUE.

This is all Volvo Penta........... Not OMC.
(OMC was dismantled by 1996 and was now Volvo Penta)

Be that as it may....... you'll want to purchase a Volvo Penta OEM work shop manual for this model engine.

NO Seloc manual.... and NO Clymers manual! Too many errors in those.

I can't be sure, but if you are using gasoline with Ethanol, then this could be your problem. Had the same issue with my F150. Ethanol (MTBE) attracts moisture and just loves to stick to the valve seats in injectors. This can cause a hard starting situation - it did in my truck. I use some injector cleaners on occasion to clear up the problem, but the do make additives to counter the effects of MTBE.

Here is a link to more information http://injectorrepair.com/ethanol-problem/

Of course, if you are NOT using this stuff, then in the famous words of Rosanna Rosannadana, "Nevermind!"

Back