Logo

inboard on a pontoon houseboat

angryman

I want to put an Auto inboard engine on my 40 ft Pontoon Houseboat.

Would I still need to do a complete marine conversion since it would never touch water?

Last edited:
The Coast Guard has some rules applying to marine engines.------Best to read up on thing like flame arresting starters / distributors / alternators / fuel pumps / carburetors etc , etc.------If you do not do that you could always pack a parachute when you go boating.

Thanks
I am pretty much used to being taken less than seriously. I see you are a Silver Level Contributor and although I'm not familiar with the significance of that designation; it would seem you have some knowledge in this area. It's a shame you choose to make light of my question rather than share what you know.
Feel bad yet? LOL.

I will check C.G. Regs. Hmpf.

I was thinking that if I mount it on the deck and vent the cover well I would avoid some of the vapor issues that I would have if it was down in a hull. Am I wrong?
I would still want to divert "River" water to cool the engine most efficiently; would I not?
What else?

I don't think Racerone was dissing you, just adding some light hearted banner to the post. What kind of set-up is on the boat now?What kind of drive train and prop set-up would you match up to this engine? Is there an outdrive already in place?

Sorry. Just messing with him. No disrespect taken. I can be a di-di-di-di-di-jerk sometimes.

I ma not have been clear. I am in the process of building this critter so I can pretty much do what I need to.
What do I need to do?

Definitely start with reviewing the CG regs. They are pretty detailed.

You have three choices on propulsion - a straight drive like they have in big inboard boats, an inboard/outboard unit, or a straight outboard. The straight drive will require to also to build a separate steering mechanism (i.e. rudders.) Either of the first two options will require that you have an engine mounted on your deck on a reinforced platform, a highly insulated shield, appropriate exhaust system, cooling system, etc. etc.

If I were undertaking that kind of project, using one or two outboards would seem the best solution.

Back