Logo

Crazy water leak at seam

keithm

Contributing Member
This motor has been stationary for a few years it was winterized when put up, cylinders fogged lower unit drained and filled fresh, carbs were drained and fuel was stabilized. I got rid of the old fuel and mixed some fresh. Filled the carbs. Added new battery. About 4 or five seconds on the garden hose a she started right up. I let it idle till warm. I noted a few things that had me concerned. First thing water came out in a small hole at the front of the foot, a small hole just below the water intake on the right side and a small hole above and forward of the left water intake. I'm pretty sure that is normal. The thing that seemed odd was the water shooting out of the seem where the lower unit attaches. Comes out strong on the right side trickle on the left. Also has a good flow out the "pee" holes and the exhaust. I thought the exhaust gasket might be leaking, so I dropped the unit to replace and found the 2 copper tubes were not round the plastic guide tubes were in good shape, grommets in the pump were soft. So I rounded out the tubes used a little dish soap and reinstalled the foot. Started it up and found the flow out the pee holes was stronger but nothing else changed.
WTHeck. Does it sound like those tubes are leaking at the pump? Any ideas on a fix? I've got pictures just not sure how to attach them. Just discovered that the oring that goes on the driveshaft last thing on the shaft is missing. Could this cause the issue.

Back