Logo

Engine dies when put in gear

ketilla

I have a 1988 20 foot JC Pontoon with a 50 HP Johnson outboard engine (Engine Model Number J50BELCO per title) and yesterday afternoon I was on the lake and backed into a tree limb that was below the water that I did not see! It bent the propeller and I had to be towed back to the dock. The engine would start but died as soon as I put it in gear, I restarted it and put it in gear and again it died. Same thing on third attempt, and now it acts like it is locked up and won't start. Any suggestions? I am not a great mechanic but I can usually figure out how fix things if I am told how.

Last edited:
By "locked up", if you're saying that you cannot turn the engine over... or if the flywheel is very difficult to turn either by the starter or by hand... drop the lower unit in order to determine where the binding is.

Let us know what you find.

Thank you for your reply, and I have learned that to get the lower end off I have to unhook the linkage. I have taken the starter off and I can see the bolt to loosen. I have tried and tried to get wrench in to it with no luck. So any suggestions would be appreciated. I have attached a picture of the bolt.

Attachments

• 2014-05-22 16.52.58.jpg
    2014-05-22 16.52.58.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 43
The hex head bolt that is visible IS NOT the bolt you want to remove as that bolt clamps the yoke to the main shift lever. The bolt you need to remove has only the shoulder end visible in the picture... the head is on the other side. I use a universal flex socket to loosen and back out the screw and I use a mechanic's flexible finger grab tool to drag it out and install it.

Back