Logo

Impeller Housing for a BF8A and the metal ring inside?????

jduck1

Contributing Member
Honda BF8A stopped spitting water out the discharge tube the last time I used it. Ordered a new impeller and dropped the bottom end tonight. When I pulled the impeller housing the metal ring or sleeve stuck to the impeller and stayed on the impeller with the housing removed. The impeller looks to be in good condition. Inside the housing there is also a washer like metal piece with a port cut out and 2 tabs to keep it from spinning so the port will be open and allow water to go up the tube into the motor.

Is it normal for this metal sleeve to not be attached to the impeller housing? Is it supposed to be attached to the housing? Do I need a new housing or can it be re-poxyed or JB welded?

The liner can be removed and does not have to be epoxied to the housing. You are correct that the tabs keep it from spinning and line up the ports. When you bolt the housing down, the liner will sit on top of the bottom plate and won't go anywhere.
When you say the impeller is in good shape, do you mean the rubber looks good but has curvature to the vanes, or they are straight? Typically the vanes will get wear on one side of each one and will get a set to them, which means they stay curved. The wear and set are what causes them to loose efficiency. Did you check the pee tube for blockage? Some people poke it out with a piece of heavy mono or some wire. It would also be a good idea to check the thermostat if you have not done so in a while.

Thanks for the reply. So all is well on the housing? Yes the impeller looks good as far as no broken rubber but there is a pretty good bend in all of the fins. I already have a new impeller so I am going to put it on and bolt it all back together.

Thanks for he quick reply. Now I can get it all put together and go fishing instead of parts shopping tomorrow.

Just run it at the house before you go and make sure it is pumping. I would still check the thermostat just to be safe. I know the manual says to pull and check yearly on most engines, so it may be time to take a look. The temp can have a big affect on the way the engine runs as well.

Back