Logo

1972 Mercury 75 (7.5hp) throttle and timing lubrication

diy_darryl

Thanks for any response here!

I was given a FREE 1972 Merc 75 (7.5hp) and it has been setting for quite some time and has changed hands a few times. History is unknown.

So far I have been trying to do a few things to see if I could get it running before I put any money in it. Originally had no plugs so I replaced them. Had no fire but all of the wiring was virtually bare with brittle insulation just falling off the wiring. Re-wired the engine completely and had fire but would not run. Did not clean carb yet but have discovered part of the problem as it started today on the first pull (and sounded good) after I manually advanced the timing all the way by hand. I hit the kill switch within a second of it firing because I had no water.

Anyway....... the throttle movement is stiff and gummed up a bit by old grease. Also the physical movement of the timing by the throttle linkage is sluggish and lags behind the throttle position and actually is not fully advancing because of old grease buildup. After I noticed this and manually advanced the timing to the stop by hand it fired up like a dream.

What is the best method to clean and re-lube these areas and is disassembly required?

I would also like to give credit to Bubba, a supplier on the internet who went out of his way to help me and suggested that I did not have the throttle open enough for the reed valve to allow fuel into the cylinders. It saved me!

Next of course, is Carb cleaning and removal of the lower unit for inspection and impellar change.

Yes, the Red Phasemaker in the pic you posted. Sounds easy enough. I already pulled the flywheel once after running three 5/16-24 bolts (I think it was) into the threaded holes and using a big 3 jawed puller, worked great, grabbed onto the flats on the bolt heads with the puller's jaws.

So are you just saying to re-lube the area (after cleaning) with the spray-on white lithium grease?

Back