Logo

1999 OX66 fuel trouble

w987rl1

I have been having fuel problems for months now. Last year, my auxilary tank had water. Mechanice changed inside engine fuel filters and water separators ran good for the rest of the season last year. This year first time out , one of my engine cut out in the middle of the day and wouldn't start. Limped back to dock with one motor. Mechanic cleaned the screen inside the fuel pump assembly and the very next day it ran great but died after hours of trolling. This time it did started back up on my way home and ran all the way home. I pan on changing the filters again but then they were not visibly dirty or contaminated by water. Before I break my bank for the fuel pump, does any body have any suggestions or have seen this kind of behaviour before ? Thanks.

Try running the engine that keeps dying by itself for a while. If it doesn't quit running by itself, I would say you may be starving it for fuel when they are both running.

All fixed, fuel in the AUX tank. Lots of it. Had to drain the tank.

Next question, I am new with outboard boats. Since there isn't a blower in the bilge area, is it safe to use hair dryer or heat gun there to remove a hose? I am trying to get the hose off the live well pump, and need to warm it up.

Thanks.

Back