Logo

Tamd 41a cant get max rpm

ERMATY

I have a TAMD 41A Im only getting 3100 RPM at WOT, and I should be getting 3800 at WOT. I had the prop pitch for this motor and boat and now I'm only getting 2600 rpm . The pitch size was a 20 and it was drop to a 18. I'm not sure why I'm only getting 2600 rpm when the manual says 3800 rpm. Can anyone help me out?

Assuming the hull is clean, are you getting smoke under acceleration, i.e. black which indicates lack of air - clogged airfilter or turbo problem. If there is no real smoke then are you fuel filters and lines clean.

You can check the turbo if you remove the air filter and exhaust bend to check if there is excessive play in the shaft or if its seized, it should spin freely.

Hi Draco24,
My hull is clean and the shaft does move freely, I do get some black smoke up at 2600 rpm, How do I know if the turbo is working?

2600rpm is about where the turbo should start to work, you need to check if it can spin by hand as mentioned earlier. It could be worn and have too much clearance between the blades and the housing, the only real way is to connect a boost gauge to the inlet manifold and see what happens when you drive it. As if its smoking its getting not enough air, as black smoke is a result of unburnt diesel

Back