Logo

A little steering help??

junior4597

Contributing Member
I know this is a forum for Crusader buffs but I thought I'd post a steering topic as I had no results under that forum. The Crusader help I've gotten here in the past has been great so I thought I'd shoot this out there....

Wondering if I could get some advice here. I have a older model Tiara with twin inboards and Teleflex Seastar hydraulic steering. Previously I was able to go hard-over on the wheel, both to port and starboard. Now for some unknown reason I can just keep turning the wheel with no hard-over. I'm thinking that the system might need to be blead of air but I don't see any bubbles in the line. I also see red colored fluid in the hydraulic lines, because it's red I'm wondering if it's tranny fluid and not the approved Seastar fluid. At the helm pump I see the fill but I'm unsure if the fluid is just too low. I was going to add to it but I didn't want to add the Seastar fluid which is clear to the red fluid already in the lines. So, my questions are - is this issue caused by air in the lines and it needs to be blead or is the fluid simply just too low but can I mix fluids or do I have to do a full flush of the system? I do not see any leaks in the bilge either. The wheel does not seem to feel sluggish and I do not feel any bumps or skips when turnng it. I do think it's kind of slow to respond when under-way but that might just be me. Any thoughts here? Bleed the system? Replace all the fluid? Mix fluids? Something else I might be missing??

Any help would be appreciated!
thanks

check the cylinder while you are turning the wheel...if the ram isn't moving your rudders, that means the pump is NOT producing any pressure...

the pump requires adequate fluid to build up pressure....and the system shouldn't leak...if it does, you need to stop the leak (safety)...the older sea stars called for the "pink" 5606C fluid...ATF will work fine for most applications....

If the pump isn't making pressure you can't "bleed" the system...I'd start with checking the fluid in the helm...if you have dual stations, that means at the top station.

The rudders are moving just fine. My only issue is that I am not able to go hard-over, wheel just keeps going. I'm assuming that the fluid is low but with the "red stuff" already in the system what recomendations would be suggested to add fluid to the system? Can I just go buy a quart of the yellowish Seastar fluid and mix that in or can I add ATF? I'm pretty certain that it's low on fluid so i will start there but am uncertain if I can mix fluids and which fluid should I choose to match as closley as I can?

you can use the seastar fluid but dexron ATF will work just fine...

There is no "stop" in the pump....when the cylinder reached the end of its travel AND the pump is making adequate pressure, the wheel will appear to reach a "stop"...if you keep turning in that direction, the pressure relief inside the pump will open...

It appears that your pressure relief isn't working, probably due to the low fluid level (inhibits the pump from making its rated pressure). refill the pump, bleed it out, and then refill the pump...if that doesn't get your "stops" back, there's either a leak (external) or the pump needs an overhaul..

Back