Logo

Long Block and then what?

jtalberts

What are the pieces that need added onto a long block to make it a complete engine? I have googled the interwebs before asking this stupid question and I can't believe I haven't found the answer.

All external parts, & accessories, you basically have the head, and block only as a unit. That means, starter, alternator, mounting brackets, pulley's, & belts, and all wiring connections. Then, the carburetor, fuel pump, & piping, distributor, & it's wiring, maybe the water pump & hoses, then the marine exhaust manifolds, & all hoses. Then the coupler on the flywheel, & bellhousing. etc, etc.

As far as I know, a short block needs all that stuff. A long block has the alternator and fuel pump and water pump and starter and flywheel and distributor.

A long block is just the block with the heads attached, as far as I know? It sounds like you're talking about a complete engine.

[h=4]Short Block Engine[/h]Short block engines are not complete but they do come with a cam pistons, connecting rods and a crank.. They do require the installation of additional internal parts which include but are not limited to: an oil pump, cylinder heads and gaskets. Some short blocks are made available with camshafts and timing parts.
[h=4]Long Block Engine[/h]This type of engine is almost complete and comes with the head which is bolted to the short block. The long block engine will need to have some additional external parts installed. These parts include but are not limited to: valve covers, manifolds for the exhaust and intake, a timing covers and an oil pan.

JJ got close to it. Long block does NOT include accessories (starter, alternator, fuel pump, carb, distributor, etc.) intake or exhaust manifolds. Just the block, heads, internal parts plus oil pump, circulating pump & belly pan. Some come with "tin" (oil pan, valve cover and timing cover). Most rebuilders will include the remainder of the complete gasket set (intake - usually 4 pieces; exhaust; fuel pump; carb; and distributor).

I ordered mine "with tin" as I had a connecting rod go through the oil pan and needed to replace that item anyway.

Most will paint it any color you want.

Gene

I don't think there's a "text book" definition of what a long block includes. It will vary from builder to builder. But overall, the major differences are described above.

Thanks,
JJ

Back