Logo

prop down or smart tabs ?

Sean Flesch

I have a 1988 Tracker Magna 17 with a 60hp 2 stroke Mercury running a 13 pitch prop and stingray II whale tale. I am not getting up on plane very quickly with my wife and daughters aboard (takes more than 2 minutes and a lot of engine trim adjustments) and I am not able to spend the cash on a bigger outboard. I'd like to pull the girls on the tube this summer. I have been looking into either going down pitch or installing some smart tabs. WOT is just shy of 5500RPM with the current prop. I think I have some room here to drop to a 12 or 11.5 but was wondering if gains would be better with the tabs. I think both would help but one thing at a time. Which would get me my best gains?

PS, anyone know what the manual says my prime RPM is (I thought it was 5800) on this motor......but it is almost 30 yrs old.

Thanks
Sean

I have not tried taking the Stingray II Hydrofoil off. I am a bit confused how that would help though? Does it create extra drag? I can shift weight and it helps a bit, but not too much. Also, it is not incredibly safe or convenient to have someone sit up front as it is a fishing platform. The design is like the newer Targa 18's tracker makes with out the window, just a side console. All the gear is placed to the front of the seating area which is really mid boat. If I went with a 11 or 12 prop would this be the ticket? I'm not that concerned with a few MPH top end speed. The difference between pushing water and up on a plane is night and day in relation to speed.

In your situation, I don't think Smart tabs would help? The Stingray creates a lot of drag, more then a simple Doel fin, I'd go with that instead, and keep the same prop for now till you test it.

A lot of boat and not much motor.

Tails and tabs might help with the bow profile but the only way you are going to get out of the hole better and on plane faster is with a whole lot more horsepower.

What is the boat rated at (max - 125??)? For it to perform "as designed" you need to power with at least 80% of max horsepower.

I know this was "packaged" with a 60 horse, which kept the advertised price low, but that was never enough motor for it.

I "re-rig" quite a number of these package boats because they do not get the engine upgrade when purchased new and soon realize that you really do need more power.

In this size class, with the load you specify, 90 horses would get you closer to your expectations.

Last edited:
Thanks, I appreciate your honesty. I do not want to throw good money after bad. If I'm not gonna see any improvement with any add-ons then that is that. I am super grateful to even have this boat and I could not afford any engine swaps. I think it maxes at 115 if I recollect correctly. If there is nothing I can do then I have to accept that but if there is then I sure would like to explore it. We got 1.6 inches of rain here yesterday and drizzle today so ill try maybe this weekend to take off the stingray and see if it helps at all.

Any other ideas that might help?

Funny think about this motor is that my buddies grandpa bought this new and it was delivered with the 60 but he had ordered the 85. They were picking it up on their way to Wisconson for a week long trip. It was gonna take 2 weeks to get the correct motor in and mounted so instead he took the discount and took delivery of the boat. Just the way it goes I guess. I have learned a lesson from it.:rolleyes:

For "water sports" where the hole shot/getting to plane is more important than the top speed, the 4 blade prop is the superior choice.

You may consider having a look at a prop from ProPulse.

The make a "composite" (plastic) adjustable 4 blade prop.

You can't adjust it "underway", but you can set the pitch within a range (eg. between 11 pitch and 17 pitch).

I run one on my cruiser. In the spring/fall when the air is less dense, temps are cooler and less humidity is present, I can "UP" the pitch because the motor can breathe easier.

In the height of the summer when the motor is "gasping for air", I lower the pitch to keep the rpms up where they should be.

Likewise it can be adjusted for running "lighter or heavier".

West Marine used to sell them (don't know for sure now but a google search will find you a source). The price is competitive with many aftermarket props and it does give you the "adjustability", plus they are modular - so if I hit a rock and toast a "blade", I can replace one blade for about 20 bucks - don't have to repair/replace the whole prop.

I jawed with a guy who has a boat shop here in town anf we settled on a amita 4 blade. Went all the way down to a 9 pitch and went up to a 11.8 diamater. I took the boat out today and it handled great. Pulling a tube on plane was easy. The boat had great umpf all thru the rpm range and I really felt like I just picked up an extra 15hp. Amazing what a prop can do. I did notice a drop in top speed but the boat just drove better. It was definetly fast enough with the traffic and chop on labor day weekend. I am very happy with my choice. Thanks all for the advice.

Back