Logo

OMC 5.8L oil change

zmany2k

Regular Contributor
Apologies upfront as I want to say this has been posted before, but I couldn't find it. Helping a buddy put his 5.8 back together (just finished gapping the rings) and we got to talking about the oil and how to drain it. Isn't there a vampire system to suck the oil out of the drain pan through a pet-cock drainplug?

Thanks

I use one of those pump-up vacuum oil changers you can get them at worst marine they have a long tube you stick down the dipstick tube. There are also some that replace the pan plug with a barbed fitting and a hose which you connect to an electric pump. About ten gazillion ways to skin that cat.
I admit that I have simply drained into the bilge and out the hull transom plug (boat on trailer) and hit it with Simple Green after.

I have to admit, I do the same thing that you have been doing. I raise the bow up, drain the oil into the bilge, and collect the mess out the transom drain. I always wash the bilge, and and flush into another collection can. the total oil/soap/water mess is then taken to the city recycle center. end result......oil changed.....bilge is spotless clean. sucking oil out the dipstick........what a pain.

Ayuh,.... I've got 1 of the bigger Mouller's pump cans,...

I use it All the time,... Love it,.....

Hook it up, pump it up, 'n go do something else,....
When ya come back, it's a Done Deal,....

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if there was an easy way to do this or not. This isn't an issue on my boat as it's a 2-stroke outboard, but my buddy is a new boat owner and I have no experience with in/out board motors beyond the automotive application these motors are adapted from.

I use one of those pump-up vacuum oil changers you can get them at worst marine they have a long tube you stick down the dipstick tube. There are also some that replace the pan plug with a barbed fitting and a hose which you connect to an electric pump. About ten gazillion ways to skin that cat.
I admit that I have simply drained into the bilge and out the hull transom plug (boat on trailer) and hit it with Simple Green after.

I have also sucked it out through the dipstick with an electric drill and the rotary pump with attached hoses on either end. Takes a long time. Use a kitchen trash bag (plastic) under the drain plug to catch the last quart (or less) after sucking out the bulk. Keep a shallow cardboard box- such as the one used under a case of beer (cans) to keep the (filling) bag from pulling away from under the plug. Replace the plug, pull the bag out (carefully- so it doesn't snag), then the cardboard. Then just change the filter and refill.

Last edited:
Back