Logo

Oil Injection Mariner 115 hp

thebubba

Regular Contributor
Hello All,

My 1994 Mariner 115 hp 4 cylinder Serial number OG101768 has an oil injection system. I want to continue using it. I do not want to disable it. My question is, I noticed when the engine sits for a little while the fuel lines start to fill up with 2 stroke oil. I know this because I ran the engine dry of fuel and later connected the fuel line back up to the motor to run it again and a bunch of oil came out of the connecter when I was putting it together. Also, I use the motor to get up and down the lake, and use my electric motor most of the day. When I go to restart the engine, usually gives off a nice puff of smoke when I first start it, then doesn't smoke after that. Is this normal or is there a bad check valve or something in the system that may be bad. Thanks for your help.

After researching the subject more, it appears this is not a normal thing. A little puff is understandable and it is a 2 stroke, but this is a little more significant, and the motor does it even when I don't run it dry. When I am on the lake, it will only restart when it sits for more than 5 minutes if I push the button and advance the throttle all the way. It also stalls and runs a little rough until the oil burns off. What I have found is this may very well be a bad check valve on the oil injection system. There are two check valves. One on the top of the tank on this motor which relieves the vacuum affect from the oil injection pump sucking oil from it. The other keeps fuel from entering the oil injection system near the fuel pump. They are both 2 psi check valves. They are inexpensive, so I just ordered both of them. I will let you know if this makes a difference.

Back