Logo

Ricardo.... are you bored :) I have an electrical question if you don't mind (not Crusader related)

bobct

Advanced Contributor
This has been an epic battle all because I had old tape when I labeled the wires after doing some unrelated work on my main panel.

I'll spare all of the details but finding a replacement shore power switch that provides the 1 or 1&2 function has proved impossible. A guy who has the same boat sent me a few pics which led to ordering a switch from Kraus & Naimer. I've sent it back twice and they modified it both times to no avail. We finally both gave up and they refunded my money. So, here's my question of the day.

Since I never once used the selector anyway, I can just as easily eliminate it all together. I always left it in the 1/2 position and used a "Y" adapter on the shorepower end when I wanted to connect one 30a cord. That works great.

There are four black/load wires in question. One each connects to L1 and L2 on the panel and one goes to each Main breaker. If I tie all four together, isn't that the same as having the switch in the 1/2 position (distributing power across all breakers from both feeds)? I actually did a quick test and it works. Both meters show 120v and everything on the boat has power.

Is there any issue having the two breakers tied together which I think they effectively were through the switch?

thanks
Bob

Why tie all four together?..i assume the switch was wired in between L1 and L2 and the input to the breakers..i would lost pull the switch out and run L1 to one breaker input and L2 to the other breaker input...i assume L1 ans L2 are the same phase or you would have blown the main or burnt the wiring up when you tied them all together...

good question. Here's the factory wiring at the switch. I can upload a wider view but here's how it connected:

(My boat does not have a generator so the dotted lines are my setup)

8 – L2
7 – Breaker 2
1 – L1
5 – Breaker 1

thanks
Bob

Attachments

• shore.jpg
    shore.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Papyon, thanks thats exactly what I did. Connected L1 to #1 breaker and did the same for L2. Now both breakers operate independently like they did with the old switch.

Bob

Back