Logo

Crusader 454 XLI-Relay issue

twill23

Hello,
First time posting a problem on Marine Engine.
I have a 1997 Tiara 2900open powered by twin Crusader 454XLi (100556)fuel injected engines.
Recently I had an issue with the boat stalling, restarting for a couple seconds, then stalling again. This issue was tracked down to a relay mounted on the motor close the the starter. Every time this happened, a brand new, $20 relay would fix the problem.

This issue with the relay has now become a more of a nuisance as it has been happening more often.
There is no way to tell when it's going to happen. It will happen after boat has been sitting at the dock for awhile, while under power, or while idling. It'll be fine for several trips, weeks or days, then be bad, on a second fishing trip for the day.

I have check the plug to the relay, and everything seems fine. Any other suggestions on possible ways isolate the problem with the continual relay going bad?

Welcome to ME.com!

Have you looked inside one of your "bad" relays ? As a general rule, relays are pretty reliable. that said, with the migration of MFG plants, some are better than others. The coil failing is usually easy to isolate from the contacts failing...one you know the specifics, you can make some more measurements to see if something is inducing the failure of the relay.

If the relays looks ok and the contacts are ok, electrically, check the harness and connector....Bad grounds can induce all kinds of sympathetic symptoms...

I have had the same problem with our 2001 Tiara 2900 Coronet with Crusader engines. The relays fail about once a year, so I've been proactively replacing all four (two on each engine for ignition and fuel pump respectively) each spring. Kind of ridiculous. I suspect it's because they are mounted so close to the engine and they get ridiculously hot - the expanding and contracting from the heating and cooling I suspect causes failure over time.

Have you discovered anything about this problem? I've considered lengthening the wiring and mounting them further from the engine, but probably not worth it until I confirm this is the problem.

Thanks,
Jeff

Hello,
First time posting a problem on Marine Engine.
I have a 1997 Tiara 2900open powered by twin Crusader 454XLi (100556)fuel injected engines.
Recently I had an issue with the boat stalling, restarting for a couple seconds, then stalling again. This issue was tracked down to a relay mounted on the motor close the the starter. Every time this happened, a brand new, $20 relay would fix the problem.

This issue with the relay has now become a more of a nuisance as it has been happening more often.
There is no way to tell when it's going to happen. It will happen after boat has been sitting at the dock for awhile, while under power, or while idling. It'll be fine for several trips, weeks or days, then be bad, on a second fishing trip for the day.

I have check the plug to the relay, and everything seems fine. Any other suggestions on possible ways isolate the problem with the continual relay going bad?

Hey Jeff,
I continuously sprayed contact cleaner in the plug every time i replaced the relay. I put 650 hours on that engine this summer, and had ZERO relays go bad. I guess continued use was the fix.

Thanks twill23 for the suggestion. I'll spray the contact cleaner when I replace them in the spring and hope that helps. Can't hurt!

Back