Logo

Evinrude 115 No Spark

ReelCat

Contributing Member
Hello folks, my very reliable 1995 Evinrude 115 (E115SLEDR) died dead as a hammer while running the other day....like you turned the key off.
I removed the plugs, connected a spark tester and checked for spark. It has no spark on any of the 4 plugs.
I suspected the kill switch but it was in the correct position. I poked around looking for loose wiring around the power pack or in the binnacle control but found none.
I disconnected the black/yellow wires ( I think this should bypass the kill switch?) from the coils and checked for spark again, still nothing.

I would appreciate any ideas where to look from here.

I sanded the grounds also and coated them with dielectric grease last night also, they were pretty corroded, however it did not solve the no spark problem.
I'll try to figure out how to come up with a DVA adapter to do further testing.

There are 2 different models for 1995.----Crossflow or looper ?----See if you can find a black / yellow stripe wire going to powerpack.----Open the plug in and see if there is now spark.

Hello folks, my very reliable 1995 Evinrude 115 (E115SLEDR) died dead as a hammer while running the other day....like you turned the key off.
I removed the plugs, connected a spark tester and checked for spark. It has no spark on any of the 4 plugs.
I suspected the kill switch but it was in the correct position. I poked around looking for loose wiring around the power pack or in the binnacle control but found none.
I disconnected the black/yellow wires ( I think this should bypass the kill switch?) from the coils and checked for spark again, still nothing.

I would appreciate any ideas where to look from here.

Same thing happened to me with 1994 OMC 115. Tested ignition and kill switch circuits and they are fine. I'm getting pointed into the direction of the coils being grounded? Can anyone elaborate on what and where to check for that?

And did you get yours resolved yet?

Thanks!

I came to the end of my rope and couldn't test further without a DVA meter so I took it to a real mechanic, that's where it is now.
The mechanic said that 1st it could be the OSI sensor, 2nd it could be the stator output to the power pack and 3rd it could be the power pack itself.
I'll report back when I hear the resolution.

Here's where I'm at with my 1994 crossflow 115 that has no spark. Ignition and kill switches tested fine. Still no spark on any cylinder. No spark with rectifier disconnected. No spark with power pack disconnected. Flywheel at 356 rpm. Stator at 395 ohms which is a bit out of spec. DVA 119 volts when connected to power pack and 136 volts when disconnected. Both out of spec. Would these marginally out-of-spec values on the stator be enough to not be creating any spark? Any thoughts? Thanks!!

You should read approximately 1000 ohms from the brown wire to the brown/yellow wires and 100 ohms from the orange to orange/black.
You should have a reading of at least 150V or more from the brown wire to the brown/yellow wire (while connected to the pack) on each bank and at least 12V or more from the orange to orange/black.

You should read approximately 1000 ohms from the brown wire to the brown/yellow wires and 100 ohms from the orange to orange/black.
You should have a reading of at least 150V or more from the brown wire to the brown/yellow wire (while connected to the pack) on each bank and at least 12V or more from the orange to orange/black.

Thanks. My references say 480 +/- 50 ohms across brown wire set and I'm getting 395. If 1000 is correct, then I'm WAY low. I don't recall an orange set of wires. This is a 1993/1994 OMC 115 outboard. Thanks again for your input!

Hello I'm new on the group can any body help me with my Johnson 115 v4 1984 there is no spark on number #4 I did change the coil to #2 and its working and thane I change the power pack from left to right the power pack is working 100% on the right side. The number #4 has no spark with coil change and power pack .Thane I checked the connector plugs [did clean the connector plugs ] and wires cant see any problem what can it be please

Hello thanks you help me allot it is the timer base . Right side white to green 32 ohm . White to blue 32 ohm . Left side white to green/white 0 ohm . White to blue/white 32 ohm. Thanks again what is the price of the timer base in UK

Test sensor coils ( AKA trigger or timer base ) under the flywheel.
Hello thanks you help me allot it is the timer base . Right side white to green 32 ohm . White to blue 32 ohm . Left side white to green/white 0 ohm . White to blue/white 32 ohm. Thanks again what is the price of the timer base in UK

Back