Logo

Bf130 oil pressure too high pressure relief valve question

When I run the engine the seal on the oil filter pops and oil shoots out everywhere. I am thinking that maybe it is the pressure relief valve. If anyone has any experience with this or ideas, I would appreciate the help. I am trying to locate the pressure relief valve to replace it but cannot find it. Is it internal? I feel like it would have to be accessible on the outside of the block since it relieves pressure.

The oil pressure relief valve is in the oil pump. #5 http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2002/BF130A2 LCA/OIL PUMP/parts.html

Unfortunately, you have to pull the powerhead to get to it.

A couple of things to check first....

1. Are you using the correct Honda oil filter?

2. Are you using the correct oil?

3. Have you checked breather tube A and breather elements for blockage #'s 16 and 7 http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2002/BF130A2 LCA/THROTTLE BODY/parts.html

4. Have you checked the pvc valve and associated venting and chamber for blockage #'s 15 and 9 http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2002/BF130A2 LCA/INTAKE MANIFOLD/parts.html

5. Have you checked the pcv valve chamber and return hose for blockage? #'s 14 and 11

All of those are a lot easier to check than pulling the powerhead. Others may have some other places, but those are all that I can come up with at this time.

Mike

Thank you for the detailed post. I will be checking the listed parts
for blockage. I used the OEM honda filter and some outboard motor oil, I think it was 10w30.

Let's refocus a little. The oil filter should be torqued to 16 ft-lbs....not just hand tight.

Maybe it is time to check the oil pressure to see what you are dealing with.....it should be between 14 and 20 psi at around 750 rpm. Measured from where the oil pressure switch is installed.

One other place to check....the oil return hose at the bottom of the valve cover. If you have had the valve cover off, it might have gotten pinched....but.....if it is, I do not understand why oil has not been blowing back through the pvc or intake...so I am puzzled

I am out of other things to check. If the oil pickup in the oil pan was plugged, it would cause a low oil pressure.

Mike

Today if torqued the oil filter on to the proper specs. The seal blew again. Afterwards I put the oil filter on and I noticed something. The oil filter is screwing onto the threads evenly. As I turn the filter I can see it wobbling unevenly. When the filter comes in contact with the mating surface on the engine, the whole diameter of the filter doesn't come in contact at the same time and I think there is uneven pressure on the filter. Maybe one side of the seal has good pressure and one side does not creating a week point. What are your thoughts on this? I am going to buy a new filter to check out if it was a bad filter but I feel it is bit because the same thing happened with the previous filter.

I put the new filter on and it went on nice an straight. To attacks different from the other filter(that I just bought) now it seems like the problem is gone . I've only got about give minutes run time but so far so good. I am going to continue running with a close eye on it but I think I'm good. Thanks for all the help and ideas.

It was an interesting journey. It is nice that most problems turn out to have the simple answers.......once you figure them out.

Mike

Back