Logo

Clutch sealing repair, Suzuki DT 200 -87

CaptDjob

Hello to the forum,

I'm just repairing the lower unit of my DT200 (the torpedo tube was cracked and the nut got loosened). I have now welded the housing, dry-fitted the bearing housing and fitted all new sealings, so basically the lower unit is ready to be built again. Except for gear clutch. Two questions:

1. I bought the sealing kit for lower unit, but my kit doesn't have the shaft seal/scraper that goes to top of the clutch housing. Should it be in that kit? Also those o-rings might be gone too.
2. How do you open this thing? It seems to have at least two springs in it and based on how stiff the system is, those springs have original juice still in them. So I am afraid if/when i get this thing open, I'll not going see those springs and balls anymore, ever...

Capt Djob

PS. Does the system have three or two stage action/stroke? When using by hand, I only get it to move in two positions so I was wondering if the neutral is in the middle of these stages. Or are there three distinct "stages" for forward, neutral and reverse?

One addition. I am talking about the vertical rod inside the lower unit that moves up and down and drives the clutch, so I'm not actually opening the clutch itself. I just need to get this rod assembly torn down so I can change the lip seal (and what ever there is inside).

Sorry for double post, couldn't find edit?

edit. Now I found edit, it seems that its active only period of time.

Answering to myself.

Clutch clearly has three stages, it was just really tight. Vertical rod assembly is disassembled by opeing the screw on the side and then taking completely off those those two shallow screws with springs and ball under them. Then the system just slides out. No need to take that rod next to slideshaft away, just take the pin of the end lever away and that magnet bracket.

Only the question about whether this seal should be in seal kit remains open but who cares. I go and by new one separately.

1. I bought the sealing kit for lower unit, but my kit doesn't have the shaft seal/scraper that goes to top of the clutch housing. Should it be in that kit? Also those o-rings might be gone too.

This monology ends here, but had to answer to this one also.

So it seams that DT200 -87-88 doesn't have complete seal kit of their own. At least brownspoint offers the kit only for -89 and up. And difference between these models seems to be at least this shift shaft construction. So remember, if you order this kit, order these three seals separately:
- O-ring inner 09280-14010
- O-ring outer 09280-24003
- Scraper 09284-14004

One word about dissassembly. Be carefull when extracting those old seals. O-rings are installed in plastic bushing and that busing is end of life in spare parts. So don't damage it.

Capt.

Back