Logo

new to me 4ph model info help?

Saltshaker

Contributing Member
hi, friend just lent me a 4hp for the summer. I think i can get the manual, but wanted to get some info here in the meantime. I think its a 2001 2 stroke. looks pretty clean inside. on the plate i see 2001 part# 37-878455-7. Family is IM9XM 1021C0 and it [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]actually says its a 4.5 hp. any help please? looking for specs and oil / fas mix, etc.

thanks
[/FONT]

It's either a 4 or 5 horse - that sticker is the emissions sticker, common to both horsepowers (4-5 as in 4 OR 5).

Yes, any NMMA approved TCW3 outboard oil is fine.

These single cylinders can shake like a wet dog on a cold day if they aren't tuned well. Maybe invest the couple bucks in a new sparkplug even if the current one looks ok.

I don't have much info on this particular model. It wasn't built by Merc and they didn't include the service manual for it in the (standard) collection for that model year. I believe this was one of the early motors that came from the Tohatsu joint venture.

After using this for the summer it may convince you, should you decide to buy a small motor for yourself, to find a twin cylinder - these can be finicky.

thanks, i did put some oil / gas in and it started with a few pulls. gears work and nice stream too. interested to see how it runs on the dinghy :)

hello, checking back in :). so i took the motor with me last weekend and it was sort of a fat PITA. basically would keep bogging down with a load on. I could however, rev it up fine in neutral. any thoughts on that? It had been running pretty good before this.

thx

Back