Logo

I got a 20ft Pacemaker Hull for Free

Bigdubya

I got hold of a 20 ft Pacemaker hull for free, it has been sitting around for around 3-4 years but was running when it was layed up. I have decided to restore this boat. It has a 3.0 lt Cobra sterndrive in it. So many questions. The ID of this motor and boat is proving a little difficult. The ID plates on the motor and transom are illegible but the ID on the sterndrive is there. It is Model No 986321/ER 3.0 L/ER No T0711772
I'm under no illusions this is a big job, I work on boats for a living so I should know better but I can't resist the challenge, I should be able to do most the work myself.
I have done a fair bit of time on the internet to determine there are plenty of parts for them the only problem I live in Australia and there does not seem to be too much availability here. I think shipping parts from the USA should not be an issue.
1 What should be done to the sterndrive first seals, water pump ect. ( I want to do a fair bit of work to this to make it sea worthy and am prepared to put some money in to over some time, this is a long project.)
2 Where is the best place to get parts from that ships internationally.
I figure I will start on the drive then move on to the engine.
I would be very grateful for anyone who could give me any info on these as I'm not familiar with OMC and there are not many around in Australia

Have you accessed the condition of the boat. Is there any dryrot in the deck or the transom would be my first concern especially for free.
I have had a reasonable look at it. The deck yes, planning on replacing it, Transom well I'm not sure it's a bit hard to tell with out taking the drive out. As I have not taken delivery of it yet I have not had a chance, but I did walk around the boat with a big screw driver trying to stab holes in the hull it seemed fine.

Nothing free is free. Hull issues aside, you'll want to replace pretty much all the rubber parts..hoses, impellers, belts, etc. Then do a full tune up cap rotor condensor wires plugs check timing. Change all the fluids and lubricants. Open up carb and clean float and needle valve.
Just for giggles a new thermostat. Check engine mounts for dry rot and soundness.
That should get you in the ball game.

Nothing free is free. Hull issues aside, you'll want to replace pretty much all the rubber parts..hoses, impellers, belts, etc. Then do a full tune up cap rotor condensor wires plugs check timing. Change all the fluids and lubricants. Open up carb and clean float and needle valve.
Just for giggles a new thermostat. Check engine mounts for dry rot and soundness.
That should get you in the ball game.

I was thinking of seal kits in the upper and lower drive, transom, water pump then moving on to the engine

I was referring to the entirety of the drive and engine, not just the engine. Couple hundred clams for all the necessary bits. Our hosts have all you need at very good prices.
I usually replace all the soft stuff as it is often unknown when or if it has been done. Gives you a new base line for future service.

Back