Logo

Sputtering above 4000 RPMS

Ziggypup

Hello. I am new to the forum and have a question that maybe someone can answer or point me in the right direction.

I just came into possession of a Sea Pro CC with a 2003, Yamaha, 150 HP outboard, 2 stroke oil injected engine.

The engine runs perfect until it reaches about 4,000 RPMs then it starts to sputter and kick in and out. The spark plugs have been cleaned and re-gapped, and all the contacts have been cleaned. The water separator looks very new, but I am going to put on a new filter on anyway.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I think it is a fuel flow issue to the cylinders. Whatever you do, don't push it. STOP NOW! You'll fry cylinders at high RPM as I learned the hard way about partiallly clogged fuel jets. Pull those brass fuel jets from every carb and make sure they are perfectly clean and clear. Blow carb cleaner through them. If I were to guess, you have partially clogged fuel jets gummed up with this ethanol fuel we have been subjected to. The problem doesn't show up until you are trying to feed serious fuel at higher RPM's. Clean those jets and see if the problem goes away. Even if the problem goes away, pull all the carbs and clean them all thoroughly with carb cleaner. Restricted fuel to any cylinder in a 2-stroke is the kiss of death. Low fuel at high RPM = Low lubrication provided by the oil in the fuel to that cylinder.

I think it is a fuel flow issue to the cylinders. Whatever you do, don't push it. STOP NOW! You'll fry cylinders at high RPM as I learned the hard way about partiallly clogged fuel jets. Pull those brass fuel jets from every carb and make sure they are perfectly clean and clear. Blow carb cleaner through them. If I were to guess, you have partially clogged fuel jets gummed up with this ethanol fuel we have been subjected to. The problem doesn't show up until you are trying to feed serious fuel at higher RPM's. Clean those jets and see if the problem goes away. Even if the problem goes away, pull all the carbs and clean them all thoroughly with carb cleaner. Restricted fuel to any cylinder in a 2-stroke is the kiss of death. Low fuel at high RPM = Low lubrication provided by the oil in the fuel to that cylinder.

Thanks for your input.

Back