Logo

98 Evinrude OP 175 Need help with electrical/ignition issue

sfc2113

Hi everyone. I am having a strange issue with my motor. It started last winter. In the cold temp I would start the engine it would start then stall and then not start. It cranked but did not kick over again, no spark at all. Then for no reason at all it would just start with the flick of the key. Being winter and getting ready to winterize I decided to wait till spring to correct this. I am certain this is NOT a FUEL related issue.

I have all new carbs , fuel pump, VST ect. So, fuel system has been ruled out. It is fine I am certain this is electrical.

Over the winter I consulted some mechanics and they pointed me to the power pack failing. So I got a new one (CDI) and installed it along with 3 new coils. I figured I would replace them since they were original. While I was at it I got a new optical sensor too.

Then engine started right up in the driveway on the muffs. Took the boat to the water. It Ran fine. Started right up ran wide open or over 10min and kept running fine for the next 30min. I slowed down to take in the sights and while just motoring along the engine just died. Like someone turned the engine off. Tried to restart it and got nothing. Primer bulb was hard. I could smell fuel while I was cranking so I am certain it was not getting spark. Was about to call for a tow and tried once more. I barely hit the key and it fired right up with a nice puff of smoke. (so I know its getting fuel/oil)
I decided to not take any chances and head back to the ramp. I was about 10 miles away. The engine did this 5 more time each time it happened it was the same thing, waited 5-10 min and it fired right up.
Sometimes it would run for 1 mile and stop and some times I got maybe 500 yards. First thing I did when I got home was a compression test: All cyl are 95psi. So no engine damage.

So here is what has been replaced:

Power Pack (cdi), Coils(evn), Wires(cdi grey), Plugs(QL78YC) , Optical sensor(evn).

Here is the problem:

Engine runs and shuts off intermittently and wont restart for 5-10 min of sitting.

If anyone has experienced and found a resolution or can help point me in the right direction. I would love to hear back.

Last edited:
I know you said that you are sure its not fuel related. But try opening the fuel tank when this happens just to make sure that you dont have a restriction in the vent line.if this gets you no where.then try disconnecting the kill circuit to eliminate wiring harness and or ignition switch.i dont remember wire color sorry

Back