Logo

1974 Mercury 1150 I6 Impellor Change, Stator Test, Spark Plug change

bassboy416

Got a 1974 Mercury 1150 2 stroke in line 6 cyl. Boat starts and runs great. I've recently replaced a lot of old messed up wiring as well as the starter because of a starting problem I was having and all seems to be fixed; however, I want to make sure that my battery is getting juice from the stator/rectifier. I have a seloc manual but am having trouble understanding it when it comes to this... I have a digital multimeter as well that reads amps volts ohms continuity. The wires going to the stator are in very poor condition, and I am willing to replace the entire stator but am hesitant to pull the flywheel as the boat runs so perfect right now. Can I test the stator with a multimeter? Sidenote: my tach has never worked on this boat since I bought it and it had a dead battery when I bought it.... Are any special tools required to pull the flywheel without messing with the timing? Will pulling the eight bolts from the flywheel cause things to move?

Impellor Change:
From what I've read in the manual, I believe I have the cam1 style of lower unit not the ez shift. My manual explains that the base should be inspected when I change out my impellor, but it also clearly states that it is shimmed and that it is essential to get proper shim adjustments. Can I decide to opt out of this and just change the impellor and gaskets? Are there any tips or tricks you can give me to make the removal of old gaskets and installation of new ones easier? Anything to watch out for when removing the lower unit?

Spark Plug Change:This was extremely frustrating.... Nowhere in the manual could I find ANYTHING that told me how to get to the 6th (bottom) spark plug. It seems as if I would have to remove the lower cowling piece but nowhere could I find a procedure on how to do this and looking at it made it seem like it would be a huge pain in the butt and that the switch box as well as several wire connections would have to be removed... I would love to avoid this at all costs.

Any help is much appreciated. I'm new to outboard motors and the help I've received online has been more helpful than anything else I've found.

Back