Logo

Drill Bit Broke Off into Lower Unit - BF225

GoodChance

Bought a nice used BF225. Motor is a 2006 and wanted to change lower unit oil. Apparently this had never been done because both the drain and upper oil level screws (plugs) were frozen in place. Tried a little heat, penetrating oil, large screw drivers and hammers ....... Finally got the lower plug out but the upper was frozen. Resorted to drilling it out. Good news is that I won. Bad news is that a 1/4" tip of the 5/32" drill bit snapped off as I neared the end of full penetration and it fell into the lower unit!!!!

I'm trying to "flush it out" with diesel fuel but no luck yet.

Any helpful tips?

Man on a mission!! You will need to know that it is not in there. Gear failure or shift ability are certain to fail. Dissamble, inspect, reseal for peace of mind. Thank's Martin

Agree it has got to come out of there. If it's an 06 and lower unit oil has not been changed for a very long time, if ever, then it would likely be a good idea to have a trained professional tear it down and check out everything. Also, when the lower unit comes out, be sure to check the shaft bearing up in the lower cowling. They have a tendency to fail badly on the 06's and older models.

Back