Logo

1994 8 Hp mercury

bpage4110

Ok when I start my outboard it starts right up on the first pull and idles great but as soon as I put it in reverse or forward it cuts off why? Please help

Is this something that started suddenly ?-------------Check the oil in the lower unit.------Then check to see if there is spark on both cylinders.----Test compression.------Testing is required.---------But then it could be a bad sparkplug and minor carburetor adjustment as well.

Is this something that started suddenly ?-------------Check the oil in the lower unit.------Then check to see if there is spark on both cylinders.----Test compression.------Testing is required.---------But then it could be a bad sparkplug and minor carburetor adjustment as well.

Well I took it out 2 weeks ago and when I put it in reverse it cut off so I took it home started it up and flushed it out and thought it was fine cause it was running fine then I took it out today and it starts up and cuts off every time I put it in gear. But I did notice today there is a gas leak in the hose were it connects to the tank but not a lot but I can notice it.

When it seems to run fine on a flusher or in neutral but gags out when in gear/in the water (under load), that is usually the result of it "starving for fuel".

That is assuming that the motor was tuned up and otherwise ok.

You note a possible gas leak with the hose. That could be the cause. A dirty carb could be the cause.

Was the fuel "new" or stabilized?

Has it run ok (this season) or was 2 weeks ago the first time you have had it out after being layed up for a bit?

A little more history can help nail down "likely" causes.

eg. I got my motor out a couple weeks ago after it had been sitting in the garage all winter and this is what happened....

When it seems to run fine on a flusher or in neutral but gags out when in gear/in the water (under load), that is usually the result of it "starving for fuel".

That is assuming that the motor was tuned up and otherwise ok.

You note a possible gas leak with the hose. That could be the cause. A dirty carb could be the cause.

Was the fuel "new" or stabilized?

Has it run ok (this season) or was 2 weeks ago the first time you have had it out after being layed up for a bit?

A little more history can help nail down "likely" causes.

eg. I got my motor out a couple weeks ago after it had been sitting in the garage all winter and this is what happened....

I bought it about 3 months ago and used it maybe 5 times and its worked fine and the gas is new. Also after I use it I always flush it out in fresh water and run the gas out the motor.

Try opening the idle mixture screw out (CCW) about 1/4 turn and see if that helps. If not, there's an idle speed adjustment screw you could turn in (CW) a tiny bit at a time to speed the idle up.

Jeff

Back