Logo
Click for Volvo Penta manuals!

Default TAMD 41 B false oil check alarm

I've got a 41B that I was warming up the other day and the oil check alarm started up. Not full blast, sort of a half volume. I checked pressure with a manual gauge, its good. I checked the switch with a voltmeter, its good. I' getting 3-4 volts between the bl/w wire and ground when running. The oil press sending unit shows 8volts between the lb wire and ground when running, and its working.. I'm thinking theres a short somewhere in the circuit....any ideas out there?

Default Re: TAMD 41 B false oil check alarm

Quote Originally Posted by NLF View Post
    I've got a 41B that I was warming up the other day and the oil check alarm started up. Not full blast, sort of a half volume. I checked pressure with a manual gauge, its good. I checked the switch with a voltmeter, its good. I' getting 3-4 volts between the bl/w wire and ground when running. The oil press sending unit shows 8volts between the lb wire and ground when running, and its working.. I'm thinking theres a short somewhere in the circuit....any ideas out there?
    I fixed it! it was the wiring harness between the engine and the instrument cluster. Must've worn through and partially shorted to another wire.

Hi NLF

I have the same problem with TAMD41B, I can not understand if it is the oil pressure or a wire. How did you messure the pressure with the manual gauge? And can you please explain in more detail the problem with the wire. Im new to marine engines and it would be a great help if you could help me. My oil alarm beeps a lot when im starting the engine up. Thanks alot.

Best regards

Martin form Copenhagen

I measured the pressure with a manual gauge by installing a pipe fitting "T" where the oil pressure sending unit is installed. I believe it is located near the oil filter.
    The wire was sending the incorrect voltage to the gauge. It was either a short or an open in the circuit. The wire is in the harness going from the engine to the panel. I was fortunate to have a spare wire harness.
    Does the alarm stop once the engine has been running for a minute or two?

Today when I started the engine the tone (oil alarm) where very loud and it first stop when I turn up the rpm. And then it came back, and I had to turn up more rpm. After 5-10 minutes sailing it definitely stops and there was no more problems with the oil alarm today. When I look at the oil pressure instrument it says about 60 psi and never under 30 psi.
    I can almost always hear an twitches sound from the instrument but with out any light from the oil alarm (some times it blinks a bit also)
    Any ideas what it could be?

Check wiring connections,loose, corroded,not tight enough,especially the grounds