Logo

1972 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5hp 9222m won't start.

dtp105

I just bought a motor. It won't start. I've got fuel going all the way to the carburetor. But, apparently not beyond. I figure there must be an issue with the carburetor.

When you drip some mixed fuel into the carburetor does it bark and try to run ?-----Another common fault is cracked ignition coils due to aging of the plastic.-----Will spark jump a gap of 5/16" on this motor , yes or no should be the answer to that.

I have a good spark on both plugs.

Haven't tried putting gas in the carb. When I prime it and open the choke, I can smell gas in there. So, I didn't try adding any.

I had a small 2-stroke I was working on recently, here is what I did; First make sure fuel is getting to the carb (disconnect fuel line going to carb and try to start engine, fuel should spurt out of fuel line, be sure you point the fuel line into container or away from engine) if it spurts out the pump is working. Next I took off carb and made sure the bowl was filling with fuel. Sometimes the needle valve that lets fuel into carb gets gunked up. Would be a good idea to clean up the carb real good..especially if its been sitting a long time. You said you tested spark and got one, have you tried spraying premixed fuel into sparkplug hole and then cranking it over? And get a compression test on the cylinder? You should be able to find specs online. Those are the basics. Might check into reed valves being stuck (wont let fuel/air mixture into chamber. Thats all I can think of. Good luck.

Back