Logo

Exhaust Elbows, 5.7

CaboJohn

Regular Contributor
Getting about time (year 4) to consider new elbows on my "fresh" water cooled 5.7s (in the salt). A quick look shows Crusader has a new part number 02915/10732 replacing 10567/98126. Cost is $269.96. Barr still references the old part number (98126) and is $171.60. I have seen positive references to Barr before. Anyone have comments on the wisdom of taking the cheaper option? Should I be concerned about the part number change?

My boat partner pays half but I do all the work. Better to be a year early than a year late. Thanks for any advice.

CaboJohn

John:

Can't speak to the specifics on your 5.7l's but would suggest you can call Crusader to ask what changed in the elbow when they rolled the part number...sometimes its only the vendor they sublet to...

As far as Barr's castings go, they are decent and Barr is a frequent choice for many OEMs....we have their manifolds on our big blocks.

Like with most things, stay away from the chinese imported stuff...their quality control leaves a lot to be desired and it is usually reflected in the pricing.

John,

It is tough to tell from the pictures that I see on the MPS web site, but it appears that the older 98126 was the discontinued low-profile elbows and the replacement 029015 is the high-profile elbow. Crusader stopped making the low-profile elbow. Some installations, especially with risers, can't use the high-profile elbows because there isn't enough room for the additional 1+ inch they add to the height.

Erich

Thank you for the responses. Mark, I like the Barr's price and it is good to hear they are not junk..........but I think Erich is correct, Barr's
uses the old part number because they are in fact selling a copy of the old number, which is a little lower profile than the new number. I will take a close look at what I have, (they were changed out by the previous owner, so who knows what was on the boat when new) but I am pretty sure they are the newer part number, higher profile elbow.

In my case they should be interchangeable, except when I back down on that huge tuna I may wish I had the extra height! Crusader must have had a reason to make the change.

CaboJohn

I would like to jump in on this a moment.
I am in the process of installing new exhaust manifolds, risers and elbows on my starboard 1982, 270. The only part I am reusing is the 2" cooling connector/spacer. The original part# for the exhaust manifolds is unavailable now so there was a replacement crusader part. I have this all installed but now find that the coolant expansion tank will not reinstall between the two exhaust elbows because there is 1" less space between the two exhaust elbows. I just discovered this a couple of hours ago. Has anyone come across this situation?
Terry

When I first read this I yet yikes! as in my mind I saw the heat exchanger. But a reread show it says the expansion tank. Since it does not really mater what it is made of or what shape it is, I would go shopping for something neat looking that fits that I could repurpose as an expansion tank.

Sorry, you are right. I did say the expansion tank, which is plastic mounted on the bulkhead. I do mean the heat exchanger for sea water/engine coolant mounted to the back of the bell housing. And you are also right, "yikes"

Autocorrect strikes again. Really, I can spell. If it is as you say, seems like the only solution is to find a way to mount the heat exchanger wherever it fits. It need not be perpendicular to the engine, although that looks more tidy. Maybe it can be moved aft. You would have to fab some brackets and replace some hoses. If you raise it you have a fill issue (trapped air). If you don't have room around your engine you will have to make some.... It all depends on your specific set up. Maybe someone else knows of a clever solution. Bummer.

I will reconsider remounting the tank, however this seems like a strange crusader moment. I've replaced both exhaust manifolds P&S original part #'s 96120 & 96121 which are no longer available with the crusader replacement Part #'s 97753 & 97752. Now being a simple country boy I would have assumed crusader would have made the final fit to match the original profile and not end up with over an inch less of inside clearance between the final exhaust elbows. The exhaust elbows, 8" risers and coolant adapter all interchange port to starboard so there could be no mix up between those, I think.
still searching for a answer to this.

Terry

Back