Logo

2000 Yamaha 2 stroke 6 hp questions

nessmuk

I have a 2000 Yamaha 6hp 2 stroke that I bought second hand a couple of years ago The motor starts and runs very reliably. I am using it on a 12' boat for trolling and operate mostly at low speed. At low speed it runs a little rough and on occasion quits. I am trying to run in the 1.5 to 2.5 mph range which is typical for trolling for lake trout. Is it possible to improve low speed performance by tuning and if so what needs to be done?

Last year I had the impeller replaced and nearly had a heart attack due to the cost. Does anyone know where I can find a description of how to remove the gear foot to access the impeller in the future? I have had the bolts out but can't figure out how the shift rod comes apart.

At high speeds performance is fine but I get a high pitch squeal or whine but have no idea of what it is coming from?

Any advice/insight would be appreciated.

Should be no more than one hr labour -How much was your repair bill ??--Fairly simple process.-----Whine ?----Check your gear oil ASAP.

For ultra low speed trolling in a small boat with a small engine, don't play with the engine settings... Tie an empty 5 gallon bucket to a line and toss it off the stern to create some drag.

Back