Logo

Chrysler 383 motor and prop questions

Peter Devil Ears

Regular Contributor
Hi, I am looking at getting a boat with inboard Chrysler 383 motor. Seller says compression on all cylinders is good, starter good. This means I can check the compression when I get there! He says it just needs a rudder and hanger bracket. What is a hanger bracket? Flange box? Is a rudder expensive? Can I make one myself? What is the procedure for choosing a prop for an inboard? I only know outboards. Thanks for any assistance, and sorry for so many questions.

Rudder design is an ART, so if you want to make your own, find a duplicate boat and make one JUST like it.

The "hanger" I assume is the rudder hinge?

Jeff

Why, is there no prop on it? Usually on an inboard, the right prop is chosen from the factory for best performance, and sometimes replaced when/if needed, with the same size as was on there. You need to know if it's Direct Drive, or Reduction Gearing? If the latter, you need to know how much the reduction is? A lot of single engine boats are direct drive, like a ski-boat. Twin engines sometimes have 2:1 Reduction Drive. This will help determine your prop size.

Thanks to all replies. The prop question is just as a matter of curiosity, I think the prop is OK. Here is the real problem: the rudder is missing, so how do I get the correct rudder for that boat? Contact the manufacturer? Find out what model it is and ask around to see who else owns a similar boat?

Is the hanger that you refer to the cutlass that supports the shaft just forward of the prop? For the rudder, I think I would talk to the folks at a propeller shop. I'm talking about the kind of shop where they employ machinists to repairs props, turn shafts in a metal lathe and so forth. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

Dan

Back