Logo

Decent brand of belts for my Crusader 454's

silv360oz

Hi folks from Downunder!

Have any of you had the same trouble with the water pump/alternator belts on your Crusader EFI 454's?

Each year we get them replaced, each year after one or two months we have the same problem with them stretching, the adjustment is now nearly at maximum and the alternator is almost touching the bulkhead.

Wondering if moving to a 1" shorter belt might solve that issue.

What brands are you all using over there, perhaps I need to look at a supplier in the USA to avoid the apparent sub-standard ones available over here in Australia.

Most interested to hear your feedback.

I chased this "stretching" problem for several years before I discovered that what was actually happening was the sides of the belt were wearing, causing the belt to settle lower in the pulleys and thereby seeming to stretch. The cause was corrosion roughness on several spots on the crank pulley (near the once leaky raw water pump). Five minutes with sandpaper and a quick coat of spray paint solved the problem.

The used belts were noticeably narrower, so you might want to take a close look.

CaboJohn

Thanks for your replies folks. I'll check that pulley thought out as that might be the issue. Keep replying if anyone has further ideas.

I'm overseas currently so wont be back on the boat for a couple of weeks but I'll give you an update when I'm there.

Gates Green Stripe or NAPA belts are the best by far in my experience.These belts are available in many fractional lengths.
Check your pulleys for rust, glazing and bell mouthing. On high hour engines, it is common for the pulleys to wear and are routinely replaced as a normal wear item.
The fast turning alternator pulley's wear fastest.
I'm sure you all know the belts are supposed to ride on the sides of the pulley grooves,not the bottom.
Oh, all the belt stories I could tell.

Gates Green Stripe or NAPA belts are the best by far in my experience.These belts are available in many fractional lengths.
Check your pulleys for rust, glazing and bell mouthing. On high hour engines, it is common for the pulleys to wear and are routinely replaced as a normal wear item.
The fast turning alternator pulley's wear fastest.
I'm sure you all know the belts are supposed to ride on the sides of the pulley grooves,not the bottom.
Oh, all the belt stories I could tell.

X2

I have had great luck with Gates and NAPA belts.

Thanks for your replies folks. I'll check that pulley thought out as that might be the issue. Keep replying if anyone has further ideas.

I'm overseas currently so wont be back on the boat for a couple of weeks but I'll give you an update when I'm there.

Ayuh,.... Most belt Problems are caused by Rusted Pulleys,....

Fix the Pulleys, 'n the belt problem goes away,...

First thing when I get back is to check those pulleys, then I think I'll be looking for an importer of Gate or NAPA belts in this land downunder ;-)

Wish I had the current brand/sizing at my fingertips to give you them but alas business gets in the way again ;-)

Concur with the pulley(ies) being the root cause....and Gates green stripes are great....

We have found the best indicator of the pulley wearing on the belt is the "dust" on the bilge floor...it will be "under" the belt(port to starboard), on the floor of the bilge...how it appears will be driven by hope dry the bilge is in that area.

Another item that will induce belt abrasion is misalignment of the pivoting accessory driven by the belt...hard to do on the alternator on a stock 454 cid crusader but easy to do with the factory provided sherwood raw water pump...

Concur with the pulley(ies) being the root cause....and Gates green stripes are great....

We have found the best indicator of the pulley wearing on the belt is the "dust" on the bilge floor...it will be "under" the belt(port to starboard), on the floor of the bilge...how it appears will be driven by hope dry the bilge is in that area.

Another item that will induce belt abrasion is misalignment of the pivoting accessory driven by the belt...hard to do on the alternator on a stock 454 cid crusader but easy to do with the factory provided sherwood raw water pump...

You are correct about the alternator on a stock 454 being hard to align. These came from the factory misaligned and I've tried everything to correct the problem and have it as close as I possibly can.

Could you please explain a little more on the dust under the engine and the pulley. That's what I really like about this forum, I can always learn something here.

As the belt goes around and get rubbed by the rust spot on the pulley, it will "shed" a tiny bit of the rubber compound. The centrifugal force will sling the tiny bits out, in the "vertical" plane of the belt. If this is happening, the dust will be inside the engine box (or hatch cover) as well as the bilge...most easily seen on the bilge floor. The bits of 'dust' will vary based on the pulley's roughness...I've seen a few that looked almost like a can of spray paint when empty and sputtering could have made it.

2nd that on the dust. You can also see it on the alternator itself sometimes.

Also (probably to the horror of smart folks on this board) I have used Goodyear Gatorback belts for the past two years and never had one break. Got them at AutoZone.

Hi folks!

Back from overseas, spent the morning onboard checking on belts.

Pulleys perfect no issues at all, the belts however......

My "mechanics" had replaced the alternator belts with ones that were 1.6"/40mm too long....

Sigh

Tomorrow morning I'll be heading back down to the marina and will have a check with said "mechanics" and asking for an explanation. The alternator now has an inch of space between it and the bulkhead.

Oh Lord, give me strength! Thanks again for all the suggestions made, they have helped give me with clarity.

Back