Logo

Sea Ray - Mercury Sportjet 90hp 1994. A few questions about it.

bera

Good day all.

I bought recently Sea ray with sport-jet 90hp mercury 3cylinder 2 stroke engine Serial No: 0E057577
Link:
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury_marine_parts/sn/0e057577

After complete overhauling the engine and the jet-drive we tested it but the engine couldn't increase the RPM until we disconnect the hose-line from the cylinder drain plate to the carburetors. After that the boat starts flying with 37mph.
Here are my questions:

-What speed this boat/engine can do?
-What is the normal fuel consumption of this boat/engine?
-What for are stop reeds for and why when we disconnect them the engine works ok?

Can you tell me some tips and trick about this boat/engine that I can use.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I see this is a old post but if this helps anyone There should be no fuel coming from that drain that is a clear indication of a flooding carburetor I have 2 sport jet 90hp there top speed is 43 mph with GPS on a nice day with 2 adult .
As for modifications you can mill the head .010 and remove the reed stops always run 91 octane or higher .
I was told to remove the thermostat but never did .

Last edited:
I am looking to build another motor if anyone has this motor or parts for sale please contact me . 1993 mercury force sport jet 90hp please the outboard version has a different crankshaft wont work. must jet boat. I am located on long island must be will to ship parts thank you for looking .

I see this is a old post but if this helps anyone There should be no fuel coming from that drain that is a clear indication of a flooding carburetor I have 2 sport jet 90hp there top speed is 43 mph with GPS on a nice day with 2 adult .
As for modifications you can mill the head .010 and remove the reed stops always run 91 octane or higher .
I was told to remove the thermostat but never did .

Thanks for the reply !!

How can I fix this flooding carburetor?

And what will happen if I remove this reed stops, what is the purpose of those?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Go on e-bay order part # F10265 aprox $8.00 each remove carbs open bottom bowl on all three and spray them with carb cleaner install new needle in each carb and reinstall im assuming you know what your doing ? also replace the two inch fuel lines between the carbs ( local auto parts fuel line ) P/s if you not sure have a mechanic install them carb's are easy to screw up. and can cause a fire . its very important you install them exactly the same as they came off there jetted different for each cylinder .
Thanks for the reply !!

How can I fix this flooding carburetor?

Thank you.

Go on e-bay order part # F10265 aprox $8.00 each remove carbs open bottom bowl on all three and spray them with carb cleaner install new needle in each carb and reinstall im assuming you know what your doing ? also replace the two inch fuel lines between the carbs ( local auto parts fuel line ) P/s if you not sure have a mechanic install them carb's are easy to screw up. and can cause a fire . its very important you install them exactly the same as they came off there jetted different for each cylinder .

Thank you Sir,

Yes I'm technically ok I do car engines, but I never touch this kind of engine in my life, I will remove the carbs and will give them to a spe******t.

Thank you for your valuable information.

Best regards
Atanas

Up Date to my old post I am still interested in non running 90hp sport jet boats or just the motor . I also have some parts available . send me a message if your located on long island I travel to you for repairs .

Back