Logo

Sterndrive boot question

Go4it

I just un-winterized my 2009 Stingray 18' boat with a volvo Penta 3L and volvo Penta sterndrive SX-A. The sterndrive has two boots from the sterndrive to the boat. I noticed that the top boot had 4 small streams of water coming out of it. The streams of water are coming from both the start of the boot and the end of the boot at the same place on each end. question: is that normal? the rubber boot is not weathered. Not sure what the top boot is for. Also I noticed when I killed the motor and turned off the water that the boot stream was still comming out like it was made to drain the water.Thanks for your help in advance.

I just un-winterized my 2009 Stingray 18' boat with a volvo Penta 3L and volvo Penta sterndrive SX-A. The sterndrive has two boots from the sterndrive to the boat. I noticed that the top boot had 4 small streams of water coming out of it. The streams of water are coming from both the start of the boot and the end of the boot at the same place on each end. question: is that normal? the rubber boot is not weathered. Not sure what the top boot is for. Also I noticed when I killed the motor and turned off the water that the boot stream was still comming out like it was made to drain the water.Thanks for your help in advance.

Ayuh,.... The Top bellows has the drive shaft inside it, so you've got a Problem,....

The bottom bellows is the exhaust, which ain't a problem,....

Bill is correct.
The upper driveshaft Bellows will not only need to be replaced..... but the damage from the water will need to be addressed ASAP!!!!
The drive shaft "bearing crosses" are no doubt damaged (from the water).... the main drive gear "seal surface" may have severe rust on it by now......, and water most likely damaged the gimbal bearing!

In the future, store your drive in the full down position and aiming straight forward!
This will extend the life of your drives haft Bellows!

I'm going to see if this thread can be moved to the proper forum (Volvo Penta forum)!

Last edited:
Back