Logo

1977 888 sterndrive trim pump

roemere

Looking to replace the trim pump assembly on my 1977 Sea Ray SRV 220 Cuddy w/Mercruiser 888 and pre-alpha 888 sterndrive. My current unit has a label which says 74436a2. In searching the internet (Google) to find a replacement, I found this old thread on this site http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...m-Unit-stopped-working-888-alpha-one-302-ford

Have not been able to find a 74436a2 anywhere, but did find a 74436a9. Called Mercury Marine customer service to see if the 74436a9 could be used as a replacement for the 74436a2 and was told that there is/was no such part number as 74436a2, only 74436a9. My label definitely says 74436a2. The old thread above doesn't show the picture the OP posted of the label anymore, but in reading the thread it seems like 74436a2 was a legitimate part number. A reply by a user named "guyjg" refers to it as the "original part number" and references a listing for it in SELOC?

Anyone able to shed any light on this? Is 74436a2 legitimate part? Can 74436a9 be used as a replacment?

Thanks!

Funny how new members don't realize this web site is also a parts retailer.

Look here

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/m...06717-and-up/hydraulic-pump-assembly-complete

I am aware this is a parts retailer, that is why I came here..however, the part referenced in your link is still the 74436A9...it doesn't answer my question as to whether or not that part will work on my boat. My pump definitely has a label that says 74436A2. I referenced the old thread (from 2009) where someone else was looking for the same 74436A2 part. Mercury Marine tells me there never was an 74436A2. I am hoping someone here could give me a definitive answer as to whether the 74436A9 can be used to replace the 74436A2.

Roemere, the user "guyjg" is still around. You could try sending a Private Message (on the blue bar at the top of this page).

The part number you list...74436A2 is exactly the same as 74436A9 It was superseded from the A2
Now thru Mercury the current model is all that is available. 93247A 7

The last one in the list appears to be the pump and reservoir you currently have... SIERRA 18-6763 only the pump and reservoir not the mounting bracket and solenoids as that is a complete set up and more expensive.

Don't get stuck on the exact part number.

If I were you I would look for the current version as it is far superior to the old version.

EBAY for less expensive and most likely used and you may find your model also available there used but cheap..

Although $216 for a new replacement for your model is cheap money...

Last edited:
The part number you list...74436A2 is exactly the same as 74436A9 It was superseded from the A2
Now thru Mercury the current model is all that is available. 93247A 7

The last one in the list appears to be the pump and reservoir you currently have... SIERRA 18-6763 only the pump and reservoir not the mounting bracket and solenoids as that is a complete set up and more expensive.

Don't get stuck on the exact part number.

If I were you I would look for the current version as it is far superior to the old version.

EBAY for less expensive and most likely used and you may find your model also available there used but cheap..

Although $216 for a new replacement for your model is cheap money...

Thanks for info!....that is what I was hoping---A9 unit was newer version of A2 and could be used as replacement--what confused me was Mercury Marine customer service telling me there "never was a 74436A2"...

Back