Logo

Tight steering

realdeal27

I have a 1998 sea ray 215 express cruiser. The steering is very tight. I disconnected the steering cable behind the engine and the wheel turns more freely. I disconnected the PS assist pin and it seems normal effort now. I checked the fluid flow from the pump by disconnecting the PS pump return line and starting engine. Plenty of fluid flow! It seems as there is no hydraulic help from the system, in fact, it seems as though the PS is making it much harder to turn the wheel. How can I tell if the pump pressure is off, or the PS assist assy. is bad?

This boat has a 5.0 engine. The belt is good and the PS fluid is full.

I have a 1998 sea ray 215 express cruiser. The steering is very tight. I disconnected the steering cable behind the engine and the wheel turns more freely. I disconnected the PS assist pin and it seems normal effort now. I checked the fluid flow from the pump by disconnecting the PS pump return line and starting engine. Plenty of fluid flow! It seems as there is no hydraulic help from the system, in fact, it seems as though the PS is making it much harder to turn the wheel. How can I tell if the pump pressure is off, or the PS assist assy. is bad?

This boat has a 5.0 engine. The belt is good and the PS fluid is full.

Ayuh,... Pull the cable outa the aluminum tube at the transom,...

The cable corrodes inside of it,...

Back