Logo

NEED A EXPERIENCED MECHANIC ADVICE

B

BOB NOLL

RECENTLY A MERCRUISER DEALER

RECENTLY A MERCRUISER DEALER ADVISED ME TO CHANGE THE GASKETS ON MY 98-MERCRUISER 5.0 LITER ENGINE BECAUSE HE SAID THAT MERCRUISER HAD A PROBLEM DURING THAT YEAR WITH THAT GASKET FOR THE EXHAUST RISERS. I DO NOT SEE ANY EXTERNAL LEAKING AND AM UNSURE TO GO AHEAD AND CHANGE THE GASKETS IF THERE IS NO PROBLEM.THE BOAT HAS 60HRS ON HR METER.I LOOKED AT MERCRUISER BULLETINS AND DID NOT SEE ANY UPDATES ON EXHAUST RISER GASKETS.HAS ANYONE HEARD ANY INFO ABOUT THESE GASKETS?

I have a 1997 Gm 5.7ltr engin

I have a 1997 Gm 5.7ltr engine in my ski boat and the firing order is 18436572 I cant seem to find where #1 cylinder is located on my distributer cap I have tried #1 by the gm book but its not a 5.7ltr I think the 5.7ltr is different If anyone can tell me where or how to find #1 cylinder on my distributer cab please help me

" Drew Smith, I have a BLUE

" Drew Smith, I have a BLUE motorcraft 8 cyl distributor cap in front of me and #1 is clearly marked. If you remove your spark plugs from the engine, find #1 cylinder, (should be marked on the block or manifold), put your finger over the plug hole and turn the engine over with the starter. As you feel compression on that cylinder, release the starter, check where the rotor is aimed in the distributor and that will be very close to #1. Note which direction the rotor turns and set your firing order accordingly. Easiest way that I know. Have a great summer. "

" Bob,
those gaskets leak INT

" Bob,
those gaskets leak INTO the motor.... Change them.....
Drew,
find #1 on top dead center, Compression stroke,where ever the rotor is pointed, Is where #1 plugwire goes... "

" The concern is water ingesti

" The concern is water ingestion and has been a major concern of Mercruiser recently. They have determined that the gasket is not leaking, rather condensation is collecting as the exhaust risers cool. Especially on FWC engines. This condensate runs down into the manifild and subsequently into any open exhaust valve. Their new design manifolds incorporate a "Turbulator" between the manifold and riser or elbow, whichever applies. This turbulator has a gutter on it which collects the condensation and prevents it from running down into the manifold. When the engine is started the turbulator creates a vortex and pushes the water out the exhaust system with the flow of exhaust. If you have had an indication of water in your manifold, I would suggest you upgrade your system with these new parts. It is a very simple plate which sandwiches between two gaskets at the exit of your exhaust manifold. Mercruiser engineering dept. hails this as the cure for this type of water ingestion. Good luck "

"I just bought a boat that has

"I just bought a boat that has a 2000 5 liter mercruiser engine. The motor is EFI and it runs good at slow speed but under a load it runs ruff and pop in the motor. The tac goes up and down not workin at the right rpm, but disconecting the tac does not stop the engine problem. Please tell me where to start to trck the problem."

Back