Logo

1975 6 hp - Bogs at 1/4 thottle

DustinMac

1975 6hp - Model 6505R

I recently bought this outboard with the problem that I am going to describe.

This engine will start and idle just fine, but when I throttle up any more than 1/4 it will bog and the RPMs will not go any higher. So far I have done a tune up on it. I have changed the points and condensers, timed it (with a light) replaced 1 coil, new spark plugs and wires, carb cleaned and rebuilt (high speed orifice is NEW), fuel pump has new diaphrams and springs, lower has new oil, NEW fuel tank and ALL fuel lines. Fresh 50:1 fuel.

After doing all of that it still gives me issues! However, when I rev it up just to where it will go without bogging down I can place my finger over the hole that is pointed to in the attached photo and it will rev up just fine.But if I leave my finger over the hole and throttle back down, it will die.

Carburetor.jpg

I finally figured it out. For some reason there was a lead shot in the high speed vent. I never thought about it because they all looked legit and I never payed much attention to them. Anyways, she is running like a scalded dog now.

hey man, ive got the same motor with a similar problem. she generally starts and runs fine, but she revs and slows inexplicably. even when warm, the rpms will fluctuate hugely at any speed. ive cleaned the carb and jets, the float did look a little old, but it seemed to function normally. i have video of the problem if anyone cares to see. any ideas? thanks!

Back